L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp - Page 161 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2013, 08:19 PM   #1601
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavHaal View Post
And I have moved to building Dac`s for a while(even if I have a couple spare 2SK82 waiting for LumiaAria - if that is the chosen part!!!)
The sound is so full-bodied and elegant - as is - with the Alp12P!!
I missed this... you mean that you will be using a couple of K82 for the I/V stage of your DAC?
If i misunderstood, apologies.
Old 5th February 2013, 08:45 AM   #1602
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Hi Telstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
I missed this... you mean that you will be using a couple of K82 for the I/V stage of your DAC?
If i misunderstood, apologies.

Yes - some misunderstandig - or I made a wrong pronounsement!

The spare SK82 is meant for the preAmp LuminAria that Michael is preparing with a SIT-part. I don`t know if it is the Sony that is the chosen SIT for that project. I had 2 pcs SK82 if my 1.st pair went up in smoke - and maybe they can be used in a pre-amp later(if I ever get tired of my beautiful PassiveB1).
And my DirectDac(HifiMediy) has 2 Sowtech on the output - so fairly full-bodied sound!

Best

Olav
Old 5th February 2013, 10:37 AM   #1603
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

I doubt 2sk82 is suitable for preamp duties. To start it's gain is not high enough not to mention the capacitance problem.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:27 AM   #1604
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavHaal View Post
Yes - some misunderstandig - or I made a wrong pronounsement!

The spare SK82 is meant for the preAmp LuminAria that Michael is preparing with a SIT-part. I don`t know if it is the Sony that is the chosen SIT for that project. I had 2 pcs SK82 if my 1.st pair went up in smoke - and maybe they can be used in a pre-amp later(if I ever get tired of my beautiful PassiveB1).
And my DirectDac(HifiMediy) has 2 Sowtech on the output - so fairly full-bodied sound!

Best

Olav
OlavHaal: According to Zen Mod, it is quite possible to keep the bias on these V-Fets all the time; from the time the amp is plugged in the power outlet. This will prevent inadvertent burnout.

Best regards
Old 6th February 2013, 03:35 PM   #1605
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

MR , do you have (by any chance ) LTSpice model for 2SK82 ?

where you been lately , cookin' something ?
Old 7th February 2013, 12:35 AM   #1606
diyAudio Member

Quote:
used two 300 Watt light bulbs whose parallel resistance is in the 11-13 Ohm range. Make sure the bulbs you buy are 300W @120V. The first bulbs I tried were marked 300W@130V, so they’re really 266W bulbs. You’re looking for 11-13 Ohms, so if you have a cache of the 130v bulbs, which are about 39 ohms each, you should be able to use three of them in parallel. Of course a big power resistor works fine too.
The above quote from Michael's first SIT article got me thinking and I took my bulb's out for a measurement. My bulbs are 300 WATT Philips PS25's Philips | 300W PS25 Clear | Home Depot Canadaand with a meter they all measured 4 ohms. With two in parallel for each channel that makes 2 ohms and my amp seems to be running fine. Very puzzled.

As a comparison I took some 60W incandescents out of the cupboard and they all measured 17 ohms. Hmmmmmmmmm.......

Regards,
Dan

Last edited by dantwomey; 7th February 2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 7th February 2013, 02:19 AM   #1607
Rush is offline Rush  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantwomey View Post
The above quote from Michael's first SIT article got me thinking and I took my bulb's out for a measurement. My bulbs are 300 WATT Philips PS25's Philips | 300W PS25 Clear | Home Depot Canadaand with a meter they all measured 4 ohms. With two in parallel for each channel that makes 2 ohms and my amp seems to be running fine. Very puzzled.

As a comparison I took some 60W incandescents out of the cupboard and they all measured 17 ohms. Hmmmmmmmmm.......

Regards,
Dan
When the filament heats up the resistance goes up. Check the voltage drop and current and do the math.

Rush
Old 7th February 2013, 03:08 AM   #1608
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
When the filament heats up the resistance goes up. Check the voltage drop and current and do the math.

Rush
MR would say Ohm's Law. R=E/I

Old 7th February 2013, 09:51 PM   #1609
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantwomey View Post

Regards,
Dan
My SIT is up and running quite well but I've been checking various things in search of an answer to one issue I have. On one channel the Id had a range of almost zero up to 2.4 amps. On the second channel the Id would go down to a minimum of .6 amps up to a maximum of 2.6 amps. I solved the problem today by replacing the transistor on channel 2. Now both channels have the same range of Id.

Regards,
Dan
Old 8th February 2013, 12:02 AM   #1610
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
MR , do you have (by any chance ) LTSpice model for 2SK82 ?

where you been lately , cookin' something ?
Hi, ZM. If ballpark is okay, I have approximated SITs with Koren Triodes.

Attention all eggheads: I wouldn't land a probe on Mars with these or get too excited about distortion figures and such. Stay mellow and have fun.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2sk82.PNG (40.9 KB, 353 views)
File Type: png pass-sit-1.PNG (54.0 KB, 342 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip sit_models.zip (775 Bytes, 36 views)

Last edited by Michael Rothacher; 8th February 2013 at 12:28 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!