L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

hi,
Why do I blow out the output capacitors all the time?
electrolytic capacitor 50v 2200uf :hot:
At least the lamps came :D

Attachments

• IMG_20210207_205919.jpg
    IMG_20210207_205919.jpg
    977.9 KB · Views: 465
problems

ok i finish the amp, include heatsink and big power supply.
all the power is floating, no ground (chassis).
when i plug an input from the pc, the Depreciation relay of the hose is pop out.
now the sound card is gone bad,maybe because the amplifier is floating power?

another problem, when i connected the ground (chassis) to the GND of the circuit, one of the SIT gone bad:headbash:

You may have destroyed your card because of the thump of the death of your SIT.

Remember I have told you that you need to use SiCs till system is stabilized... Use UJ3N065080K3S and when system is stabilized then put your SITs on.

Also, remember to disconnect input and output during start up and shutdown.

Search the forum how to properly connect GND to chassis, starting from a 6 Ohm power resistor, c capacitor and a bridge.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Plugging the input while the amp was live probably caused a spike in the gate voltage which exceeded the SIT's Vgs limit. The SIT failed and essentially shorted out the power supply. A zener diode across the gate/source terminals is a good idea.

Also, a fuse in the power supply circuit is better than relying on your house circuit breaker.

You may have destroyed your card because of the thump of the death of your SIT.
the amp work fine after the sound card is gone bed.
you need to use SiCs till system is stabilized
i build the amplifier first from cheap SIT and variable PS, then i connected the expensive SIT, and all works fine.
when i recognized the sound card problem, i connected to chassis, but then the Depreciation relay of the hose is pop out.

maybe the main problem is that the GND is not 0v, and the GND of the line in is 0v?

Last edited:
the amp work fine after the sound card is gone bed.
i build the amplifier first from cheap SIT and variable PS, then i connected the expensive SIT, and all works fine.
when i recognized the sound card problem, i connected to chassis, but then the Depreciation relay of the hose is pop out.

maybe the main problem is that the GND is not 0v, and the GND of the line in is 0v?

That's a pretty good bet! It sounds like you are lucky that you've not been zapped by this. I would unplug it, and use an ohmmeter connected to chassis, and see what part of the amplifier is accidentally grounded to it.

I took a few steps back.
connected only the transformer to bridge and caps.
if the chassis is not connected, all good
if the chassis is connected trough thermistor (or directly), Depreciation relay of the hose is pop out.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
I took a few steps back.
connected only the transformer to bridge and caps.
if the chassis is not connected, all good
if the chassis is connected trough thermistor (or directly), Depreciation relay of the hose is pop out.

Is your chassis grounded to the ac line ground ? It look like you have a short somewhere between your b+ and your chassis and that your chassis is not grounded. If so, you have some voltage on your chassis. Be safe and unplugged everything until you have found the short and that your chassis is grounded directly to the ac line ground