L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Does anyone have a chance to compare Tokin vs Sony SIT in this simple single ended configuration? I have some Sony SIT, but if Tokin does the same thing (just a little louder?), I would like to get some while they are available.

you have some Transistor or a complete SIT amp? Sony build is mandatory which ever iteration that you choose, others are optional :)

you have some Transistor or a complete SIT amp? Sony build is mandatory which ever iteration that you choose, others are optional :)

Yes, I have been testing Sony SIT with many different single ended configurations, including Mofo like follower amps. They are all good. I do still have extra Sony SITs, but I wants to make a little louder amp (20 watt or so) in the same manner.

Yes, I have been testing Sony SIT with many different single ended configurations, including Mofo like follower amps. They are all good. I do still have extra Sony SITs, but I wants to make a little louder amp (20 watt or so) in the same manner.
ic ic, i have never built except Sony, not interested in Tokin.
my SIT L'amp with only 2V input driving Alpair 10p, maximum volume for me is only @15.00 potentiometer opening. Moved to AN 8" which has higher sensitivity, around 12.00 is already very loud, 13.00 start to hurt my ears. tested on medium sized room 5x6m

I still have extra headroom if i add additional preamp with gain, so I don't find any needs for higher output. better get a higher sensitivity speaker driver

once I listened to my friend's Tokin build which in fact he sell it on a complete chassis with his brand, so i assume it should have been QC'ed to perfection. I brought my own cd and listen to the track that i have memorized, there are so many songs where there is a high vocal 'scream' which is recessed badly, while on my SIT L'amp it's open vocal. I test this with my own AN 8" driver at his place

i told him so many times and even rewind the song on exact timing and he says that's the recording issue :p

hail to Sony :up:

Last edited:
The lesser highs of 2sk180, others have expressed this experience before... perhaps an issue of its gate capacitance? Mike R. said once that this part would benefit from a low R source with good current to drive. I have a pair with intention to try a follower scheme someday, to get around Miller. The Sony's are easy to drive, for me 2v input isn't enough to scratch the itch though, but I use older 3-ways. They definitely have far different sweet spots. 35w vs. ~70w.

i have 3 set of KD33, 1set installed for SIT L'amp, 1 is planned for Luminaria preamp, another set as a spare. long time ago i got a little interest on 2SK180, not Tokin, even someone offered me for a trade. but i read a statement from MR (i forget which one) that some issues with the bigger transistor so i decided not to continue. afaik i recon SK180 is much better than Tokin

with my speaker journey which always Open Baffle and biamp, i don't care about bass or high power for SIT. that is a job for a high powered class ab at least 100W @8ohm (i have aragon2004) which is very good for me. need more power? i have behringer nu3000dsp

once i tried J2 and M2 for my woofer, occupied with subwoofer control, even at full volume this 25W can't do anything on the bass as i required. mauro penasa gainclone is much better for bass area

once i also tempted to try PP SIT long before Papa mentioned to provide any kit, so i purchased TO-3 IRFP planned for a look like original Sony Vfet but then the interest vanished.

simpler is better, that's why i'm very interested in SE class a. AJ finished then came out simpler J2, enjoy it enough then now F7 is much more simple design :)

i remember now the album that t I tested on my friend Tokin build, the most noticeable "recessed" vocal is on Celine Dion Let's talk about love. especially on the song : Tell Him and I Hate You Then I Love You which both are duets. there so many "screaming" vocal there which can be used for testing. This album is rarely used by Audiophiles for their testing, which usually Jazz, Blues with slow paced and no high vocal scream from the singer :)

I also do biamping. Sony SE amps sound great with my 96dB woofers, just underpowered sometimes. I have tried PSE with Sony, but it did not sound as refined as single Sony SE. (Sonys were not precisely matched, so finger crossed.)

I was playing with LTSpice today, and I find that Tokin would not probably be much louder than highly biased (high current) Sony in follower connection, but in my experience, higher biased Sony can sound hard a little. I was wondering if Tokin may have the same tendency after reading gadut's report.

I also read that input capacitance could be an issue with Tokin. It would not really be an issue for the woofer amp, hmm.

I'll check that record later, thank you!

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No question that you can get the big Tokins up to 50 watts or so without issues.

The capacitance is much higher than the Sony parts, mostly in proportion to the
die size. A low impedance source or a buffer is appropriate.

For this type of SE amplifier, the best part seems to be the 2SK77B, but good
luck finding any.

I'm preparing monoblock design on my existing FW clone which are already on separate psu box so only need to make another psu box

for my self bias SIT which utilize only one secondary output for each channel, it means if i make it monoblock, there will be 1 secondary output unused for each toroid.

any idea on what to build on single secondary output? look like a waste if i leave it un-utilised

Last edited:
@ Gadut

Find some edequate preamplifier fot this unused secondary
or some B1 impedance buffer style..what the un-utilised secondairy voltage is ?
Kind regards Bro :)
it's 2x25V 300VA, unregulated will give around 34Vdc and split up seems still fine for B1. I'm looking for preamp with gain but seems no luck on single secondary.

wait, how about using M2 front end with jfet on follower instead of complementary pair? is it safe to send Edcor output to SIT input directly or additional buffer required?

it's 2x25V 300VA, unregulated will give around 34Vdc and split up seems still fine for B1. I'm looking for preamp with gain but seems no luck on single secondary.

wait, how about using M2 front end with jfet on follower instead of complementary pair? is it safe to send Edcor output to SIT input directly or additional buffer required?

Just parallel the two windings for better current in the mono amps and should sound better.

Use new correct voltage transformer for what ever preamp you want to build. If space is at issue, stack the transformers.

The finished product will sound better sepparating the preamp and amp power supplies all the way back.

Rush

@ Gadut

One secondary from 300 VA is plenty for single-ended ~ 10 watt's amplifier IMHO.
Do two windings are really the same ?
Interesting anyways, could You hear and compare with two in parallel the sound is really better ??
Have a nice day :)
300VA is for both secondary, with my build current 1.8A so 6A rating is within recommended rules "VA > 3x bias" so parallel will provide less stress on the transformer

however this will tested a little longer because I'm finishing active 3way setup where SIT won't be suitable (i hope 25W FW clone will be adequate for wideband driver). SIT will serve my traditional passive speaker build which unfortunately i gave away 4pcs 15" woofer and the baffle 2yrs ago :) now i have to build it again from zero