L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp - Page 138 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2012, 06:05 PM   #1371
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
It's difficult for me to recommend a $14 resistor when a $1 resistor might sound just fine.
Like you said, it's low parts count. It's in the signal path. I might argue that is a important resistor, then again, my RCA only cost $3 a pair. By comparasion, I should have spent $50 each on WBTs. Too bad Eichmann doesn't make a low mass RCA jack.

Anyway, your mileage may vary. Experimenting is fun. Listening is fun too.
Old 29th July 2012, 06:37 PM   #1372
diyAudio Member

you are right , i'am able to recommend a resistor to my taste , but i have a 10$ speaker cable on my system to listen it
Old 29th July 2012, 06:52 PM   #1373
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanitox View Post
you are right , i'am able to recommend a resistor to my taste , but i have a 10$ speaker cable on my system to listen it
I'm using 30 gauge at $5 for 40 feet. That's no misprint.
Old 29th July 2012, 06:58 PM   #1374
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Yeah to both....

Yes Gentlemen...

The fun is in the building - not the price! My friends Hi-Fi system (MLogan,ElectroComp,Shanling etc) cost more than 10 times the cost of mine. It may sound a little better, but he does not have the same amount of joy in searching and trying to find that spitz-feeling in the right component. And my system is more dynamic and touchable than his.
And my cheap Sony SCD-XE800(260 dollar here in Norway) is able to play SACD and DSD-DSF disc(burned on DVD). Not many discplayer at that price is able to do that. And the sound is more than acceptable for me!!

But what LDR-pot did you use Juanitox?

Best

Olav
Old 29th July 2012, 07:06 PM   #1375
diyAudio Member

i have a " lighter note" ldr Kit from buildanamp but the simple optivol will do the same. in fact i prefer mine with a fixed caddock series resistor and a LDR variable shunt as the optivol than as full LDR volume pot .. please don't ask me why

i have tried the Sit Amp with just a passive LDR pot but it sound dull , much better with the B1
Old 30th July 2012, 12:15 AM   #1376
diyAudio Member

Olav, what software do you use for recording DSD-DSF files?
Old 30th July 2012, 05:16 AM   #1377
diyAudio Member

Cool sorry - off for a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi_nenna View Post
Olav, what software do you use for recording DSD-DSF files?
Hi Vdi_Nenna!

Was occupied with other things late yesterday, but now I`m back in line: to record a DVD with DSD-DSF files you don`t need any special software. An ordinary computer with CD-ROM and a standard WindowsLive or other DVD-burner software(that is included in most PC`s).

But you have to download the files - unpack them - to a folder of your choice - then you make a mother Folder - name it DSD_DISC - and inside that folder you saves your music files that has an ending with DSF.dsf(which is generated automaically at unpacking w the files from BlueCoast). And then you can play them on the Sony SCD-XE800 or Sony Playstation 3(and maybe some expensive other players)

But you can also download them as DSD-DFF and store them on the computer and later play them from the computer with the AudioGate player from KORG. It is partly free(but you has to have a Twitter-acount to do that).
And you get the problem with a good DSD capable DA-converter to get the files to the B1. (Meitner MA2 costs 11000 dollar, but there is cheaper than that) And you must have a computer connected to the DA-converter!

I personally DON`T want to be tied up to the computerized music-handling. I play my stored files via Squeez Touch, but don`t think that is a perfect solution(server,software).

So for me the Sony was a cheap - fun - easy - solution.

If you want I can give you a link to where the info is: how to burn DSD_DISC on Sony SCD player.

Just ask

Best!!

Olav
Old 30th July 2012, 09:03 AM   #1378
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanitox View Post
in fact i prefer mine with a fixed caddock series resistor and a LDR variable shunt as the optivol than as full LDR volume pot .. please don't ask me why
me too , nice to know that I'm not the only ones....
probabily you don't like too much second harmonic

btw I have no tested the full ldr , I use shinkoh ,try....

Last edited by nicoch58; 30th July 2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 30th July 2012, 10:22 AM   #1379
diyAudio Member

Wink Hi Nicoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoch58 View Post
me too , nice to know that I'm not the only ones....
probabily you don't like too much second harmonic

btw I have no tested the full ldr , I use shinkoh ,try....
Hi and thanks for supporting info about the LDR-potmeter! And I was thinking about trying the Shinkoh - but it ain`t available in 220ohm. As Juanitox and other(I can give good link) has suggested - it is worth to try with 220 ohm for R102,R202, R104,R204. So I wanted to try that with the Amstrad-resistors.
Maybe a Shinkoh or Charcroft later.

But nice to have such eagerly diy-fellowers searching for the fine sound in Pass-related stuff.

Best from olav

Here is a quote from a mail I got from BlueCoast`s - Cookie Marenco just 5 minutes ago:

Closing note
We've set up our Sony AR1 speakers with Pass Labs amp and it sounds spectacular in the studio. We've created an alternate listening area for mastering--a dream come true. That brings the total to 7 different sets of speakers we check our mixes through and we love them all!
Old 2nd August 2012, 05:42 AM   #1380
The Dastardly Dad of Three
diyAudio Member

hullo all... not sure if this question has been asked before, but .... in the SIT nemesis article, NP mentions: "Also I have reason to believe that we will see some new SIT parts from a couple of sources in the coming year – parts that you should be able to actually buy."

Anyone any ideas what/where/when apart from the vintage VFETs ? These SIT thingies look just the bee's knees for amazing low/no fb amps ....

Hide this!Advertise here!