L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

What would you like to short?

More or less at risk than what?

Hi Michael - Im concerned about damaging the VFETS if I accidentally short the speaker leads (despite best intentions).

A lot of the previous posts have looked at the likelihood of damage to the VFET in case this occurs, however for the resistor or lightbulb model, but Im still not sure what could happen for the Hammond choke model.....

Cheers

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Michael - Im concerned about damaging the VFETS if I accidentally short the speaker leads (despite best intentions).

A lot of the previous posts have looked at the likelihood of damage to the VFET in case this occurs, however for the resistor or lightbulb model, but Im still not sure what could happen for the Hammond choke model.....

Cheers

Shorting the speaker terminals won't harm the amp.

Guys, what are you using as heat transfer for the big 2SK180?
I got Kerafol but maybe there better options. There are difficult to source... :(

I finished one channel of my new 2SK180 single ended amp (conventional R load) using linear supply instead of SMPS with one trafo that was lying there unused. After power regulation, B+ is lower than planned initially (80VDC) at +58VDC. Once the other regulator is finished, I will play with the currents. I may add a front end to it to be able to get the full power. Since I use a TVC as "preamp" I can adapt a discrete differential amplifier (from -ECdesigns-) from another project (B1 based crossover) and play with the gain for optimal function. I bet that will teach me a lot... :) Please see the attachment and tell me what you think.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• diffamp.jpg
    diffamp.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 434
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Added bonus: twitch seems to not be blocked from where I work (yet :) )

I wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble :)

Not entirely sure what the Twitch content will be yet. I like the Twitch model because, it's informal and unstructured, more like a real 'hangout". One goal is to do a "Build-a-thon" sometime this summer, maybe July 4th weekend. Why? Just for kicks. You've probably noticed I like to try random stuff.