L'Amp: A simple SIT Amp

Had a chance to hear the SIT amp today... very nice and sweet midrange.. Detailed and relaxed sounding as well... It's a great amplifer....Thanks for sharing the circuit Micheal..... :cool:

Attachments

• SIT Amp Lighted Up.jpg
    SIT Amp Lighted Up.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 846
  • SIT Amp  Lighted Up 2.jpg
    SIT Amp Lighted Up 2.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 814
Last edited:
Don't you worry this is not a long time solution?

Because the halogen bulb will not reach the needed operating temperature (>240 degree celsius on the bulb) to recycle the vaporized tungsten back to the filament. Resulting possibly in a black bulb and shorter lifetime than expected.

Franz
Thanks Franz .

I do not know , my 1000 watt halogen are working from more than 2 years . I listen a lot of music everyday... so don't know what to expect in terms of lifetime . I could of course look for other bulbs type , but they'll probably hard to find .

Yes, excellent bass and dynamics for a Single ended amp a well.... I been using tube PP, SET, SE Pentode amps for many years .... and so far now I much prefer the light bulb amps ie zenlite, Delite, L'amp SIT amps... It has the SE type midrange with a lot more slam and control in the bass..

up to now i have the same impression......:):):)

what its your impression about the bass and dynamics.......?:eek:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes, that as well.... :) Below is the collection of Light bulb amps that Tony has built over the years .. since 2004..

From Left... Monster Zenlite, Mosfet Delite, L'amp, my JFet Delite, first Zenlite..

Do you know something about the experience of Tony with CCS or Mufollower instead of bulbs...... If anybody knows it must be him........wonderful builds, really art.....and music.

I do not know , my 1000 watt halogen are working from more than 2 years .

Stefano

Interesting! Do they light up during operation?

Are the bulbs getting dark/black after some time?

If not, I think the filament does not get as hot to vaporize in time.

BTW: a failure of the bulbs will not be a problem when you use only one (and not several bulbs in parallel):

The amp will simply switch off.

Maybe I will give the halogen sticks a try :cool:

Franz

Stefano

Interesting! Do they light up during operation?

Are the bulbs getting dark/black after some time?

If not, I think the filament does not get as hot to vaporize in time.

BTW: a failure of the bulbs will not be a problem when you use only one (and not several bulbs in parallel):

The amp will simply switch off.

Maybe I will give the halogen sticks a try :cool:

Franz
Of course they light up ! :)
...and I just saw some shadows of grey on them when off .

Progress!

Hello everyone,

the built is finally going forward i'm a little worried about my small heat sinks, but going to run it with ~25W dissipation to start with, i got some more SITs that i can build another amp with later if i want to go "all the way" with what the transistors can do in this type of circuit.

The battery i'm gonna use for the bias is gonna last about one month at 24/7 so i'm sure i can use it a week or two without any worry.

I have a question about the output impedance, i'm not sure but is it equal to the Drain-resistor plus the SIT in parallel or the Drain-resistor only? I guess the later.

Was going to upload a picture but can't seem to find anyway to upload on the forum.. Do i need an external place to upload the pictures and link them?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
So some news.....:D

I build the Salas CCS you can find here....

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/201655-lamp-simple-sit-amp-14.html#post2842399

Thanks Salas!

Because the sound with the SIT in my mufollower constellation with an Semisouth R100 was a bit dark and muddy compared to my xformer F4 and not completely in a way I hoped it to be after reading the other comments...

Mike said already that the SIT reacts very clearly to the surrounding...... That's the reason why he wanted us to start wit his proofed version....

Helas, tomorrow my big resistors will come, so I had just time to put in the Salas adventure this evening....

I finished the build, put the bias of the SIT to 5V to have no problems, turned the amp on...
No green LeDs burning and nearly the full voltage at drain of the SIT 21V......Panic, I turned off, and looked about two hours for a fault. Measured again all resistors, changed the LEDs, changed the Semiconductors, though they measured well.
Nothing, turning on, the same....

Slowly I got the idea..... The SIT demands too less current because I was prudent with my 5V. Ok I choose 2,6V and all was working fine.....green LEDs burning, voltage about 13V.

Sound is completely different from the sound in the MU follower constellation. Now the F4 is darker and the SIT brighter. I could not hear loud, too late, my wife already was sleeping, but this is more the sound I was waiting for, I think....

Of course Mike I am very interested to hear tomorrow when the postman rang twice some time later the "magic sound".....of the resistor version too.