Burning Amp BA-3b (Balanced)

I will be making up balanced BA3 FE connected to BA1 output, BA2 output, and circlotron output.

The plan is to put the front end in it's own case with shunt regulator (most likely a Salas shunt) and the output stage in another case with CRC power supply.

For the BBA3-BA1 output, I am thinking +/- 22V supplies and 5A per output phase for a total of 10A drawn from the power supply. So it is definitely going to be monoblocks.
Has anyone tried this yet?

Salas shunt has a tendency to focus an amp and create a very dark background. While i like the absolute silence, it can take away from the bloom a lot of people like in amps. Since it will be on just the FE, it is feasible that some of this blloom can be recaptured in output, especially BA1 version. Just thought you might like to know.

Here it is.

Attachments

• Circlotron mkII.png
    Circlotron mkII.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 984
Negative Feedback Heresy?

Is is heresy to consider 3 stage negative feedback in the PASS Forum?

I did a SPICE simulation of a low power F5 (using BA-3 output FETs) driving a BA-2 and negative feedback from the BA-2 output? Simulations look excellent, but it might be too much like a "conventional" production amplifier.

Has anyone sonically compared such an amplifier with the BA-3/BA-2 or equivalent balanced versions?

You could switch it in and out if you wanted to hear it

I am not sure how I could switch the negative feedback in and out without lots of poles on the switche. The biasing and JFET stage gains are totally different. I would have to look carefully to see if I could get an F5 to operate well in the BA-3 fashion with no global feedback.

I welcome your suggestions of how to do it.