Aleph_Ono reduce gain ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear all, Wayne and Nelson,

Recently hooked my diy AlephOno with a Rega P3 and an Elys cart mounted on :)

Volume is too loud, compared to the Ortofon MC3 turbo in the same place, resulting in a less crisper sound layering, with "ear tiring" mediums when playing the record loud. As I experienced also with Pearl II and my Ortofon cart, I needed to reduce stock gain. So I would like to reduce gain for the MM stage of AlephOno in order to match the Elys :)

My question is how do we calculate it, given the feedback loop is 2 resistors and 3 capacitors and also operates RIAA eq. ?

As 40 dB @ 1kHz is x100, I would like to go and try x50, so about 33,98 dB.

A second question would be : the 32V supply. I changed supply and now it is 30V symmetric instead of 32V. Is it bad, or can I keep it ? the PSU is UGS based, so basically Pearl One regulator but fully symmetric. I can finetune the voltage up to the 32V originals if needed.

Thanks for your answers,

Best

nAr

When you have the phonostage adjusted for the Elys cartridge, I will bet you a bottle of your favorite whiskey that you won't like it... (The cartridge, not the adjustments to the AlephONO)

Lol, I know, I'm not really fan of Rega's products, with the Elys there is actually same output level from MM stage than CD version ...

But the AlephOno is at my brother's and we found that sonically, there was a problem with mediums when playing a LP loud. When listening @ more confidential levels it goes Ok, so same thing I encountered with Pearl II and Ortofon MC3 turbo. I ended up doing the gain mod and everything went in place.

Now, I'd like to do the same on AlephOno. In order not to mess up with a bad eq. setting, i thought about setting R21 to 50R instead of 100R ... it would perhaps keep the eq. curve the same whilst lowering gain ???

Best,

nAr

Attachments

• aono_feedback_loop.png
    aono_feedback_loop.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 112
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
uff

sorry - my brainfart :rofl: , probably because of not sufficient speed of caffeine going in my system

it was long time ago when I was playing with RIAA networks , and now I even forgot what I wasn't knew then , let alone that I can't remember what I knew :clown:

anyway - it's easy : just calc impedance of RIAA chain for 20, 50, 1K , 20K , then calc what db ratios between extremes are when divided with regular value of R21 and altered one .

hmm ..... lemme see if I can calc that on back of napkin ....

yup - for 6db decrease of gain , you need to increase feedback for same amount - so you need to increase R21 for 100% and you'll be in ballpark

so - take 200R for start

fine tuning of circ will still demand reverse RIAA filter , and any of common methods for freq sweep

I reckon that 20Hz will be 19,27db above 1K , which will be around 19,9db above 20K ; that's quick and rough calc

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.