Seperate PSU Pro/Cons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some 18000uF/50V Panasonic Caps I was going to use for PSU. Are theses as good as I am going to get without spending a great deal more money. I got them from Apex Jr. Since I will probably use this standalone PSU for future power amps, I would like to do it once nd for all.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the input. I have the Speakon connectors, very well done IMHO.

I'm curious as to your choice of using a speakon connector.

A speakon connector will only have two conducturs while you need three: V+, V-, and GND. While you could carry the GND in the shield, that then defeats the purpose of having a shield: the shield is now a significant conductor and its EMI can be radiated in to the V+ and V- conductors and its EMI can radiate outward as well. Makes paying for expensive shielded cable a waste of money IMO.

Or am I missing something and the Neutrik speak on connector has three contacts? (The diagrams I saw only showed two contacts.)

OTOH, you could use a Neutrik powercon instead and have three conductors and a shield. However, again to have the best possible shielding, you only want to hook the shield up at one end -- the shield's drain wire. Otherwise, you again turn it into a conductor. Thus, with the normal Neutrik powercon, you ideally don't want to use its shield as the chassis ground interconnect. (However, so doing would not be that big of a problem unless fo some reason the two chassis end up at significantly different potentials.) And then there's the 32A power con which gives you four conductors….

Dan

You can get the Speakon's with 4 connectors. I got them instead of the Powercons because they look better:)
I will carry +, -, and signal ground in central 3 wires with earth ground connected to shield. If there is a better way, I am open to ideas.
Here is a pic of my modular BA setup with PSU in the middle, power amps on the sides and FE's on the tops. Right now I am going to try volume control the J River Media as it supposedly has bit-perfect control. This will eliminate one item from the chain. Custom audio PC will set atop the PSU with DAC included.

Attachments

• AMP Design.jpg
    AMP Design.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
You can get the Speakon's with 4 connectors.

Ahhh, I see them now at www2.neutrik.com. But, as far as I could tell, they are not referenced at Neutrik, Connectors, XLR, Speakon, Audio (e.g., www.neutrik.com/en/speakon).
I'll note in passing that the 4 pole powercon chassis mounts are ever so slightly smaller face on but a tad deeper in the chassis. Mostly a wash as far as dimensions go unless you're really tight for some reason (in which case you likely need a bigger chassis.)

Your planned setup looks awesome.

Dan

BTW, for random folks looking at this thread, I want to point out that it is safe practice to use some sort of "unusual" connector for these sorts of power connectors. That is, don't use an IEC mains connector (or 3-wire XLR connector, etc.) just because it is inexpensive and has the requisite number of conductors. If you do that, you run the risk of someone -- even yourself -- then plugging 120 or 240 VAC into your +/-24V power interconnect! A classic case in point was when Apple used a DB-25 connector for the external disk drive connector on the Mac SE. It was right next to a DB-25 used for the external modem (RS-232). Problem was, if someone just plugged in a RS-232 null-modem cable into the external hard drive position, they then burnt out the disk drive controller! Yes, using a DB-25 connector was cheaper than the SCSI-1 connector of the day. However, Apple paid for it and then some with warranty repairs.

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.