Pass Labs Xs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If he felt this way, He would have released the schematics of his amps, like XA, XA.5, M2, J2. He has not done so. There is a reason.
Pass Labs knows the reason or philosophy. Evident as a clearcut separation between the pleasure of audio DIY, and the profitable business of Pass Labs. A schematic of a successful commercial amp, or to be one is bread and butter. I look at a schematic and see glass, while another values it as a free diamond to mine and to easily profit from.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If he felt this way, He would have released the schematics of his
amps, like XA, XA.5, M2, J2. He has not done so. There is a reason.

There is a reason. The primary income of myself and my partners depends
on the distribution of Pass Labs product, and it is clear that distribution does
not want to see cloning in their markets. They are the customers, and
always right :)

At the same time, FW doesn't worry about business volume so much, so the
policy is more lax. That said, I have stopped issuing "official" schematics for
active FW product, and remain content with spreading enough breadcrumbs
so that you guys can figure it out for yourselves. Experience is that the
cloners want to steal official schematics. If it says "ZM" in the corner, not
so much.....

Besides, a little thinking is good for you.

:cool:

Whatever its practices are, they are meant to protect itself from the other big Audio players

There you're wrong, you'd be surprised how many official schematics and/or SM's are floating, of active IP. The regular competition is not the issue.

ZM may become a Registered Wastemark of FW.

Last edited:
There you're wrong, you'd be surprised how many official schematics and/or SM's are floating, of active IP. The regular competition is not the issue.
Wastemark made me laugh. I agree with your valid comments above. While working for Rohm and Haas Co, it was more worried about the small-time competition than the regulars like BASF or Dupont or 3M. The latter's legitimate competing technologies were a challenge, and they didn't bother to infringe on live patents of others.

The post above by Mr. Pass may be understood as a Mission Statement. Best used by audio DIYers to guide and calibrate their attendant needs, wants, and expectations of Mr. Pass. He's got serious businesses to run.

diy ACA is protected by the last active patent of Pass Labs. Go ahead cloners; make my day. Show me and/or the high end audio community your commercial [maybe more powerful, and/or improved] clones of my baby diamond.

I beleieve that would be the "amp with active current source". That appears to have been filled in 96 and granted in 98. 15 years ago ;)
But I don't see the association? That is the Aleph Patent :D

Good luck with the patent thing. Especially after figuring in cost of lawyers.
Fortunately for Pass Labs, and FirstWatt, commercial cloners do/did not appear to give a damn about cloning their products. Despite the abundant and overwhelming published technology by Mr. Pass. Even the legitimate cloning of products via their expired patents. I agree with you that patents have their limitations. Win or lose or abandon, patent lawyers always get rich.

I beleieve that would be the "amp with active current source". That appears to have been filled in 96 and granted in 98. 15 years ago ;)
But I don't see the association? That is the Aleph Patent :D
A kit of diy ACA is sold to audio DIYers, and thus readily accessible to wannabe commercial cloners. On? or after 1995, the lifetime of US patents begins from the date of filing and continues for the next twenty years.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Antoinel - last patented is what you can see on top of enclosed pic ; that's Aleph CCS

ACA is nowhere near that ; ok - just one/two caps & resistors difference , but that's huge difference

219819d1303549345-concise-guide-published-amplifier-circuits-nelson-pass-patents.gif

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.