Pass Labs Xs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I never considered that thing might have the SS parts throughout, Fe and output.

??

speculation or you exactly saw something ?

I have my info , but I'm ( as well known) not most reliable ...... especially considering my fuzzy memory

:rofl:

as Pa wrote (somewhere) - he paid the Pass SIT-1 batch dearly , but having them for production is of same importance as things he learned/discovered while playing with them

so - you can give him your spare towel , and he'll make you better one - with desired THD spectra

:devily:

Last edited:
As good an idea as that sounds like :D: "The new front end is not more complex than the previous design. It still uses cascoded matched Toshiba Jfets (NOS from our large cache) for the input devices which drive complementary Mosfets." Xs Brochure

Guess that settles that, but i wonder if there is a bit of humor in there. If you can get the vassago hifi page to load, just look at the interior. May be more complex, but more complex than what. Guess there are hidden possiblities( in the layout) and it does make sense to make a complimentary PP Fe to drive the SS output, as this will give the lowest possible distortion level. The Firstwatt version are very minimal and I would stp out a limb and suggest that is part of what makes them sound so good. The f6 showed me how much taking parts out of the chain can really change, (for the better, imo) the sound. I was shocked at how much removing/reducing the Rs of the output stage changed the sound. I am sure the increased feedback is part of it, buti wonder if that is the whole story. Oh well, it is just fun to think about. At the very least, it is a very minimal looking FE from the pictures. I believe the crumbs are all around us, if we can just pickthem up.

F5

??

speculation or you exactly saw something ?

I have my info , but I'm ( as well known) not most reliable ...... especially considering my fuzzy memory

:rofl:

as Pa wrote (somewhere) - he paid the Pass SIT-1 batch dearly , but having them for production is of same importance as things he learned/discovered while playing with them

so - you can give him your spare towel , and he'll make you better one - with desired THD spectra

:devily:

I may have seen something that led me to believe this, combined with general reading and comments. I have zero doubt that Nelson could tweak just about anything to sound good. His experience lends him a greater advantage than even his knowledge, imo. That is assuming you can even seperate the two. I apologize, as I admit, it is the imagination of it all that is fun:D...like when I was a kid.

Did the double post thing again....oops.

Last edited:
My guess is its something not to unsimilar to the BA-3 (balanced version) front end + bjt cascodes for the jfets and possibly since its differential to boot there exist the possibility to sum the currents from the input differential to generate part of the bias voltage for the VAS Mosfets.

And I would guess the VAS is AC coupled to the outputstage the same way as is done in an f4 because there the Vgs of the Mosfets is bootstraped so you can get more power for a given rail voltage and you do not have to dissipate to much power in the resistive load for the VAS as it then can go to ground and not to the rails.

And oh we also know the closed loop gain and amount of feedback around the outputstage...

My guess is its something not to unsimilar to the BA-3 (balanced version) front end + bjt cascodes for the jfets and possibly since its differential to boot there exist the possibility to sum the currents from the input differential to generate part of the bias voltage for the VAS Mosfets.

And I would guess the VAS is AC coupled to the outputstage the same way as is done in an f4 because there the Vgs of the Mosfets is bootstraped so you can get more power for a given rail voltage and you do not have to dissipate to much power in the resistive load for the VAS as it then can go to ground and not to the rails.

And oh we also know the closed loop gain and amount of feedback around the outputstage...

Sorry, but I think you are wrong.

Nelson writes in its according Owners Manual:

As an aside, all this was accomplished without frequency compensation – there are no little capacitors in the circuit to trim or stabilize the response. For that matter, the circuit is also DC coupled. The only non-power-supply
capacitors are across the DC bias voltage generators.

And on the picture you cannot see any caps, only those for smoothing for FE with their tops down.

You reside with me, in the past. Nelson is kinda like the govt. You dont knwo until about 10 years later, unless he tells ya :D

Then there is the whole "part" thing.

I wouldnt understimate its influence.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
speaking of that (and being in jeopardy of going off topic :rofl: ) it's always confusingly amusing , when ppl are amusingly confusing efficiency ..... and sensitivity ;

not speaking about you and your setup , even if you were in few steps close to making same mistake .... just differentiate power needs when using old school 96db/W/m driver vs. modern 96db/W/m driver

old one is having 60W capacity vs. new one having 250W capacity

much lighter and agile moving ansamble vs. not so light and not so agile .....

yukyuk

edit: luckily - there are still few mnfctrrs , making new old school drivers

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.