Which amp design for DHT tube input? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2011, 05:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which amp design for DHT tube input?

I presently have an all-DHT setup - 26 (mu 8.5, Rp 7.5k) into 46 (mu 5.5, Rp 2.5K ) with a Lundahl transformer output which I could wire as SE or PP out. I could also step down if necessary from the 2.5K O/P impedance.

This currently has a 300b output which isn't enough to drive my Mark Audio Alpair 10 full range speakers. They're about 88db or 89db, but my room is small and I listen to classical and jazz, so I don't need huge power - maybe a good 10 watts, max 20w.

I have almost no experience of building a solid state output stage, but I build all my tube equipment. Know very little about Mosfet circuit theory, though enough to know I want class A and no caps in the output. I have most of the hardware - 25-0-25v (approx - could be up to 35v) power supply in different box, and some big heat sinks.

Can you guys recommend a really good DIY output circuit, which I could drive with DHT input stages (SE or PP)? Thinking of putting the output stage in a separate box from the DHT inputs. This may sound interesting or even great, so it may be a worthwhile experiment. I can build on tag strips for instance, or very open to a PCB. I've looked at Nelson's designs with awe, but I don't know enough theory to evaluate the many options. If I had a design I could go ahead and build it and report back!

Andy
Old 2nd October 2011, 05:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's the heatsinks - not sure what width to make the chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8593.JPG (558.3 KB, 242 views)
Old 2nd October 2011, 08:14 PM   #3
The one and only

Maybe you want to take a look at the F4 circuit or something like it.

FIRST WATT HOME

Old 2nd October 2011, 09:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hello Nelson - good to hear from you. Yes - I did think F4. I'd need a PCB maybe?

What other choices do I have? I've just been looking at the Arch Nemesis, for example. An output transformer isn't impossible! I'm in UK as you see, and I'd have to find a source of parts like Farnell. I can get Digikey parts, though.

andy
Old 4th October 2011, 04:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The arch nemesis is already running more than an amp through the OPT, and only does 5 or 6 watts. I'd think you'd run into bandwidth issues with the size of the wiring/opt before you could effectively scale this up.

A DHT transformer coupled to the F4 would certainly be possible (and interesting).
Old 4th October 2011, 05:02 PM   #6
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by d to the g View Post
The arch nemesis is already running more than an amp through the OPT, and only does 5 or 6 watts. I'd think you'd run into bandwidth issues with the size of the wiring/opt before you could effectively scale this up.
Jan Didden has some larger transformers which appear to be able to take
a higher bias current, and from his figures he seems to get good bandwidth,
so I think more power is certainly possible, although a bit expensive.

Old 4th October 2011, 05:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The F4 appeals because as Nelson says, that's what it was designed for. Seems I will run into those tedious problems of finding 2SJ108s - I've been searching through many threads. Is there any recent discussion of how to get around this part not being available - substitutes etc? The other devices are stocked by Farnell in UK.

Andy
Old 6th October 2011, 12:19 AM   #8
The one and only

The 2SJ108 is really the 2SJ109 in a slightly smaller package. I think you
can probably find some of those.

Old 6th October 2011, 01:16 AM   #9
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

JB Mode ON :

"gotch ya !!"

JB Mode OFF .......

(it is just 1/2 of 2SJ109 , so it's 2SJ74 lookalike )
Old 6th October 2011, 11:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I just had a scary thought that Semisouth would in the near future come up with a plug-in solid state version of a 300b.......

Or at least something rather like it. I mean, how many tube amps are there lying about with OPTs just ready for such things. You might need something that would work into a 3K to 6k primary. Push pull should be fine (then there's parafeed....).

I wonder how far we are away from such a device...... tube builders are more used to seeing curves as below - wonder what they look like for some of the SIC devices....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2SK77 CURVE sm.jpg (134.1 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by andyjevans; 6th October 2011 at 11:33 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!