Aleph 5 - C1 too big?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm using Digikey P3517-ND .047 uF cap for C1 on my Aleph 5 board and it doesn't seem to be a very good physical fit. It's alot bigger than the layout on the board and I had to drill out the holes. Did I choose the correct cap and or did everyone else have similar experiences? Here's a pic for communications sake:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regards,
Dan

leave this C out

Volksamp left this feedback C totally out. I saw a simulation of the Aleph2 circuit which also showed that it is totally not required - it limited the high frequencie bandwidth more than necessary for stability reasons. I left it out at my Aleph4 mono block and got a relatively strong sound performance improvement. In spite of the use of a very good and small EMZ KP cap before. Test it, maybe you will agree – and get rid of your high voltage monster…

Regards

Klaus

Dan

C1 in the original aleph 5 schematic is a 25000 uF electrolytic.

If Klaus and Dirt are talking about C6 (680pf), I agree with them.
I did not use C6 (1nf in this case) in my Aleph 1.2's either.

But the only 47nf cap in the aleph 5 schematic is C7 across CE of Q5. If this is the cap you are talking about, I don't think it's wise not to use it.

As a (better???) alternative you could use a 1nf cap across CB of Q5.

In any case check the schematic to make sure that everything is in its place.

Regards,

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.