1M-F5 - A 1 MHz F5 project - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2012, 01:07 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

One of my F5's looking into the HP3577a
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st February 2012, 01:32 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Jack,
Nice to see your confirmation of what I saw. I assume top is voltage, lower phase.
Perfect isn't it?
Interesting, you get the same 6/7 MHz bump as I (but I assumed mine was higher, but out of range anyway for my measurement), and thought: it could as well be an artifact.
What output did you use? Which PCB?
albert
Old 1st February 2012, 02:36 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I think you can make the bump go away by matching the gate stoppers on the JFETs and MOSFETs. The original design just used a 1K resistor and tied the gates together.

I used my own PCB's -- I provisioned them so I could adjust the source resistors on the input stage for lowest THD% It turns out that the 200 ohm pot (P3) is much easier to implement.
Old 25th February 2012, 11:36 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Default differential version of the B1 Buffer

We have built a differential version of the B1 Buffer. It sounds very good. Much more detail for the DIY set at

intrator.dyndns.org/Audio.html
Old 18th April 2012, 09:29 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Default Update

In the past months I have enjoyed my F5.
At times i heard that there was some slew rate limiting. This can be heard with violins or complex symphonics or singing. Either from my Aikido preamp or from my F5.
I have Quad ESL 57's, with a low impedance of 1 ohm virtual at 20 KHz. Hence my choice to implement it. But if it triggers, it hurts the ears. So I took out the limiter function of the F5 by disconnecting the collector legs of the transistors Q4 and Q6.
This gave some more clarity. But not enough.

So I decided to oust the Aikido. I had found that the Aikido is great for pop music and non complex material, but sort of dominated a lot of complex music like classical music. My choice fell on the SP6, for which I had made a test circuit in the past using ECC82 in the first position.
I now settled on the ECC81 and 12.5 dB of amplification and this way I came up with a very dynamic line amplifier. The combo gives an infinite dynamic levels of sounds. Less than 0,01% by the way and able to output 20V RMS.

It surprises me how the F5 shows all the small tinkering of the preamps, of DACs and other active components.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:09 AM   #36
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrator View Post
We have built a differential version of the B1 Buffer. It sounds very good. Much more detail for the DIY set at

intrator.dyndns.org/Audio.html
Nice to see some quality projects on your website dude Especially interconnects

Best,

nAr
Old 19th April 2012, 04:46 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode_al View Post
At times i heard that there was some slew rate limiting. This can be heard with violins or complex symphonics or singing. Either from my Aikido preamp or from my F5.
I have Quad ESL 57's, with a low impedance of 1 ohm virtual at 20 KHz. Hence my choice to implement it. But if it triggers, it hurts the ears. So I took out the limiter function of the F5 by disconnecting the collector legs of the transistors Q4 and Q6.

So I decided to oust the Aikido. I had found that the Aikido is great for pop music and non complex material, but sort of dominated a lot of complex music like classical music. My choice fell on the SP6, for which I had made a test circuit in the past using ECC82 in the first position.
I now settled on the ECC81 and 12.5 dB of amplification and this way I came up with a very dynamic line amplifier. The combo gives an infinite dynamic levels of sounds. Less than 0,01% by the way and able to output 20V RMS.

It surprises me how the F5 shows all the small tinkering of the preamps, of DACs and other active components.
You can give a schematic that preamplifier with ecc82 or ecc81
thank you and cheers!
Old 19th April 2012, 07:37 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula 22 View Post
You can give a schematic that preamplifier with ecc82 or ecc81
thank you and cheers!
I'll work on it.
Too bad when I made my distortion measurements I did not have my camera at hand.
The basic schema is:
audio research_SP6_schematic1.gif
It took me quite some time to get it under control, I started this time with ECC83 and I ended with ECC801S.
albert
Old 19th April 2012, 09:06 AM   #39
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode_al View Post

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you are enjoying your f5 on the quads ...
Old 6th May 2012, 12:24 PM   #40
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Nice work

Hide this!Advertise here!