Between XA30.5 and F4 sonic impressions - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 06:46 AM   #31
generg is offline generg  Germany
dog dead, me alive
diyAudio Member
 
generg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Frankfurt
I must hurry to get rid of my last words......

First, self build F4 can vary much from the F4 Nelson sells. You know he tweaks out the optimum of the circuit, I think you could not do it......

The XA is completely tweaked.....

Write an email to TONEAudio MAGAZINE | The e-journal of analog and digital sound

And contact Jeff Dorgay he heard all the First Watt and some XA. He is friendly and will not hesitate to give you some hints more..........

Small impression for you, when he compared FW J2 with XA30 he wrote

"Comparing the J2 with my Pass Labs xA100.5 100-watt monoblocks was a study in contrast. The big amps' power advantage was obvious, and that manifested itself in sheer gravitas and a richer, fleshier tonal balance. The xA100.5 soundstage was deeper and broader, but the J2 was just as transparent. Low-level resolution and transient speed were on par with the xA100.5. And the big amp is four times as expensive as the J2. "
__________________
and the First Wtt is......a really First Class PSS Idea
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 12:48 PM   #32
diyAudio Member
 
Joshua_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Small village, Israel
Thanks, I'll email him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 04:24 PM   #33
oltos is offline oltos  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by generg View Post
I must hurry to get rid of my last words......

First, self build F4 can vary much from the F4 Nelson sells. You know he tweaks out the optimum of the circuit, I think you could not do it......

The XA is completely tweaked.....

Write an email to TONEAudio MAGAZINE | The e-journal of analog and digital sound

And contact Jeff Dorgay he heard all the First Watt and some XA. He is friendly and will not hesitate to give you some hints more..........

Small impression for you, when he compared FW J2 with XA30 he wrote

"Comparing the J2 with my Pass Labs xA100.5 100-watt monoblocks was a study in contrast. The big amps' power advantage was obvious, and that manifested itself in sheer gravitas and a richer, fleshier tonal balance. The xA100.5 soundstage was deeper and broader, but the J2 was just as transparent. Low-level resolution and transient speed were on par with the xA100.5. And the big amp is four times as expensive as the J2. "
The J2 was my 1st choice but 15 wpc into 4 ohms would have too limited speaker choices. So I will have to buy an XA30.5. And since I have no speakers good enough for this amp I must start shopping. But you must have extremely efficient speakers to be driven by the J2. Please let me know the make and model. Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 04:59 PM   #34
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
room size ?

if plenty , you can't go wrong with any of old big honkers , Tannoy and Altec coax preferably

some info : 6moons audio reviews: Stephæn's Altec 604 Dream Speaker
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa...© by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 11:00 AM   #35
diyAudio Member
 
Redwingnine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by oltos View Post
The J2 was my 1st choice but 15 wpc into 4 ohms would have too limited speaker choices. So I will have to buy an XA30.5. And since I have no speakers good enough for this amp I must start shopping. But you must have extremely efficient speakers to be driven by the J2. Please let me know the make and model. Thanks.

I know the feeling. When I switched speakers to Cary Silver Oak Model Ones, had to trade in my trusty First Watt M2 for a XA 30.5 in order to get sufficent power to drive the speakers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 05:06 PM   #36
diyAudio Member
 
Joshua_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Small village, Israel
I own the XA30.5 for few months now. I wouldn't look back. Should I have the money, I intend to upgrade to XA60.5 or XA100.5.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 09:09 PM   #37
diyAudio Member
 
vdi_nenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: PA, USA
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
I want to know which one sounds bigger?
__________________
I build, therefore I am.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 09:33 PM   #38
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Front Row Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
room size ?

if plenty , you can't go wrong with any of old big honkers , Tannoy and Altec coax preferably

some info : 6moons audio reviews: Stephæn's Altec 604 Dream Speaker
If you like your music to shout at you .. absolutely ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi_nenna View Post
I want to know which one sounds bigger?
The heaviest one of course ....
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 09:36 PM   #39
diyAudio Member
 
vdi_nenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: PA, USA
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Quote:
The heaviest one of course ....
What about in zero gravity? Which on sounds bigger?
__________________
I build, therefore I am.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 10:26 PM   #40
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
If you like your music to shout at you .. absolutely ...

I can give ya 2 answers :
1-did you heard right one box ......... and right xover ?
2. do yo know how Cal W. is big ?

__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa...© by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F4 listening impressions timbarnes Pass Labs 15 26th November 2011 04:13 AM
diy XA30.5 tf1216 Pass Labs 10 20th July 2009 08:20 PM
XA30.5 review on 6moons Nelson Pass Pass Labs 66 28th November 2008 09:53 PM
F4 - Factory Built- First impressions Manolo47 Pass Labs 9 2nd August 2008 06:53 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:43 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2