Between XA30.5 and F4 sonic impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you for your reply, however I'm confused.
First you wrote:

If you want to participate the next years with the First Watt and BA-line and if you like to build amps for sure the F4 is the better choice......

And then you wrote:

I would even do it knowing, the XA line sounds three times better.....:D:D:D

Now, I can build amplifiers, it isn't any hassle for me, though I don't get a kick from it either. That is, I find neither a big difficulty nor a special joy from building amps.

My only concern here is the comparison of the sound quality between the two.

But of course the 92db of your speakers make the decision more difficult!

Should I'd build the F4, it will be 2 monoblocks, each bridged-balanced-mono, so either one of those amps should drive well my speakers.

I think you should organize to hear both amps yourself....!:D

As a matter of principle, you are correct, of course.
Practically it's impossible for me since I don't know of anyone in my country who built either F4, or, more important, 2 F4 monoblocks balanced-bridged-mono.
So, in this case I have to rely on the opinions of those who heard both amps. I heard the XA30.5 and I loved it a lot, in itself and compared (from memory) to all other amps I heard, but I never heard F4 and I think I cannot hear it, unless I'll build it. I'd love to save money, since I don't have much of it left, but more than that I'd like to get the best possible sound quality I can afford. Building 2 F4 monoblocks, for the sake of comparison, will leave me without enough money to purchase the XA.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I must hurry to get rid of my last words......

First, self build F4 can vary much from the F4 Nelson sells. You know he tweaks out the optimum of the circuit, I think you could not do it......

The XA is completely tweaked.....

Write an email to TONEAudio MAGAZINE | The e-journal of analog and digital sound

And contact Jeff Dorgay he heard all the First Watt and some XA. He is friendly and will not hesitate to give you some hints more..........

Small impression for you, when he compared FW J2 with XA30 he wrote

"Comparing the J2 with my Pass Labs xA100.5 100-watt monoblocks was a study in contrast. The big amps' power advantage was obvious, and that manifested itself in sheer gravitas and a richer, fleshier tonal balance. The xA100.5 soundstage was deeper and broader, but the J2 was just as transparent. Low-level resolution and transient speed were on par with the xA100.5. And the big amp is four times as expensive as the J2. "
:cheers:

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I must hurry to get rid of my last words......

First, self build F4 can vary much from the F4 Nelson sells. You know he tweaks out the optimum of the circuit, I think you could not do it......

The XA is completely tweaked.....

Write an email to TONEAudio MAGAZINE | The e-journal of analog and digital sound

And contact Jeff Dorgay he heard all the First Watt and some XA. He is friendly and will not hesitate to give you some hints more..........

Small impression for you, when he compared FW J2 with XA30 he wrote

"Comparing the J2 with my Pass Labs xA100.5 100-watt monoblocks was a study in contrast. The big amps' power advantage was obvious, and that manifested itself in sheer gravitas and a richer, fleshier tonal balance. The xA100.5 soundstage was deeper and broader, but the J2 was just as transparent. Low-level resolution and transient speed were on par with the xA100.5. And the big amp is four times as expensive as the J2. "
:cheers:
The J2 was my 1st choice but 15 wpc into 4 ohms would have too limited speaker choices. So I will have to buy an XA30.5. And since I have no speakers good enough for this amp I must start shopping. But you must have extremely efficient speakers to be driven by the J2. Please let me know the make and model. Thanks.

The J2 was my 1st choice but 15 wpc into 4 ohms would have too limited speaker choices. So I will have to buy an XA30.5. And since I have no speakers good enough for this amp I must start shopping. But you must have extremely efficient speakers to be driven by the J2. Please let me know the make and model. Thanks.

I know the feeling. When I switched speakers to Cary Silver Oak Model Ones, had to trade in my trusty First Watt M2 for a XA 30.5 in order to get sufficent power to drive the speakers. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.