AVALON AND PASS LABS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I´ve seen in several shows , AVALON speakers joined to PASS amplification.
To Mr. Nelson Pass :
I own a pair of AVALON EIDOLON speakers ( 87dB ).
I doubt to associate the speakers with : XA 100.5 ; XA 160.5 or X 600.5.
Considering your Knowledge and experience wth this combinations AVALON / PASS ; can you tell me in your opinion , wich is the best option to join with my EIDOLONS.??

Thanks

I think, you mean the speaker from the first jpg attachement.
It is very difficult to achieve satisfactory acoustical results, particulary in the midrange and the high frequency aera.
I think that the resulting distortion spectrum from those of the most amplifier topologies (especially Class AB with idle currents between 20mA and 50mA through the buffer output stages) and that of ceramic diaphragms (ceramic cones resp. dome)
is very unfavorable for satisfactory music reproduction.

On an exhibition several years ago at High End, Germany, Gravenbruch Kempinski, go to
5 Sterne Hotel Frankfurt - Nähe Flughafen Messe - Kempinski Hotel Gravenbruch Frankfurt
a single time I have heard these speakers with great sound (unfortunately without directly comparing to others). And which amp model was connected? the follow:
http://www.passlabs.com/pdfs/old product manuals/a12man.pdf
Pass Aleph 1.2 monoblock power amplifier | Stereophile.com

Less critical in order to the quality of the perception sound quality is a diapraghm stuff consist of non ceramic and metal, like by a clone of this model - go to the second attachement and go to
Avalon Clone, Projekte der Nutzer / Nachbauten - HIFI-FORUM

For this reason I hate cones made of ceramic, magnesium and metal like titan and aluminium.

Attachments

• Avalon EDILON.jpg
    Avalon EDILON.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 604
  • avalon-eidolon-nachbau (clone)_48517.jpg
    avalon-eidolon-nachbau (clone)_48517.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
I would go with either of the XA's. Obviously the XA160.5 if you want more
power and have more money.
:cool:
By the wiring instructions about
http://www.avalonacoustics.com/manuals07/man_vision07.pdf
I note, that there is no terminal for bi-amping (the same situation than by Wilson Audio).
This means, that there is only one possibility:
To remove the internal crossover network and build-in in an outdoor cabinet (that means unfortunately the removal of the genuine condition !!!)
Then you get a wide range of an expermimetal resp. evaluation field for Bi- and Tri-Amp modes.
Whom it is important, that the original condition remains, comes not above a certain level of quality standart by music reproduction, independend of the used amp model. The reasons therefore in the meantime are good known.

Last edited:
Thanks to Mr. Nelson and Zen Mod for the reply.
Tiefbassuebertr , I have not technichal Knowledge about electro-acoustical field , so I am not sure I understand your explanation. Of course, thanks for your help and interest.

A new question :
1- With XA 100.5 , I Know is a difficult question but , Do you Know , aproximatly , how much may the room temperature raise when the XA 100.5 is runnig ?. Say room dimensions between 25 and 30 square meters.
I have tested at home ( summer time ) other Class A amps , and the feeling was not very good . I needed to run the air conditioning split unit all the time while auditioning .Of course , some aditional noise was now present in the room with obvious audio distortion.

2-If I have understood , the XA units don´t have the option of STAND BY for minimice the consumption when the amp was idle.
So for XA 100.5 , the electrical consumption will be 300 + 300 W when the amp was with the switch situated : on position , even if the amp doesn´ t run.
Is this correct ?

Thanks again

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The issue of room heating is a large one in the summer. Running an low
efficiency amplifier is bad enough, but racing the air conditioner against that
does not make me feel comfortable ecologically.

In the winter, not so bad, as I would be heating the room anyway.

Of course I tend to use very efficient speakers and lower power amplifiers...

:cool:

Oh, and the standby switch puts the amplifiers into only a few watts consumption,
and they will be cool.

Thanks Mr. Nelson , and for me is a privilege to have the opportunity to have and read your advices.
I am absolutly agree with you about the non confort ecological nor acoustical of air conditioner and I must tell you that I hate to switch on the machine. But when hot is very high.....
In my case I like the Avalon Eidolon sound and I am not thinking in a change ( apart from that ,economically is not possible by the moment ).
So this is the reason what I asked you initially the question about the better Pass Labs amp that would can match whith the AVALON EIDOLON ( 87db ) speakers, regarding the room dimensions and the heat conditions.
Could the XA 100.5 BE A GOOD CHOICE IN YOUR OPINION ?

Thanks again .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.