Between F4 and F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only thing that stops me from building F5 is that every one is building one and everyone is raving about it and telling how good it is. Same with wines at my local wine store, if everyone is buying one I know it will not be good for me and will not satisfy me. Really I could have built F5 three times already by now if not the thing that everybody is building it and saying it is great amp. Having built Aleph 4, Aleph 3 and a couple of zens amps I bet with proper speakers F3 or F4 beats F5 hands down.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it really depends

what's important :

1 room size
2 speaker efficiency
3 listening habits

let's say - you wrote just #2 - that 25W/8E is on lowish side for your spks

your pre have enough gain for F5 , but it's wimpy even for regular F4 ( same 25W/8E as F5) and it can't drive bridged F4s (100W/8E)

so - either change to not wimpy balanced pre and make two bridged F4 , or wait for Turbo F5 which Papa announced , or make X-ed F5 ( by EUVL ) , or make augmented version of regular F5 ( cascoded FE , increased PSU voltage , doubled number of output pairs)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.