I get mail

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Edited version of real letter:

Oh Great and Mighty Pass,

I see the "passlabs.com" with nice looking amps (but too expensive for me)
and then there is the passdiy scene. so the questions come... are the diy
amps here comparable to the passlabs amps? how come they are so
expensive ($5000+)? (i don't have an infinite hifi budget ;))
Since i just want nice music quality for the money, what should i do? How
does a diy amp compare to commercial amps when comparing quality?

The reply:

Of course we make big powerful exotic amplifiers for the commercial
market, and you will note that they aren't even the most expensive stuff
you can buy - reasonably priced in the market we address.

Nevertheless, I enjoy putting DIY stuff out there, and while it is also
exotic (and sounds good) it is generally limited in power and complexity.

For four reasons:

I like simple little amplifiers.

I have designs which otherwise will not see the light of day, and like any
artist I want an audience.

I don't want to compete with myself too much.

I don't want to support anything too complicated for DIY or it will
end up being too much work for the Great Pass.

Now go forth, pick a design, and populate the earth with little amplifiers.

:cool:

I don't want to compete with myself too much.

Dear Mr. Pass with all respect, I do not agree. the most important thing in life is.. to compete with.. ourselves. be it a professional activity or sport activity- to compete with ourselves(and defeat ourselves in that mannier) is the most valuable and efective way to progress..

so we will wait.. :xfingers: :D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Dear Mr. Pass with all respect, I do not agree. the most important thing in life is.. to compete with.. ourselves. be it a professional activity or sport activity- to compete with ourselves(and defeat ourselves in that mannier) is the most valuable and efective way to progress..

so we will wait.. :xfingers: :D

My read on that comment by NP - juzzzzz being a bit sarcastic about himself. The generous folks that fork over much $$$$$ for his consumer stuff usually are not into DIY type hobbies. If they are into DIY they most likely already own the real stuff and are playing around with DIY for the enjoyment of it.

OTOH - I'm usually wrong about most things - so consider the source.:rolleyes:

(and Terry and ZM and maaaaaany others - I can hear you snickering from here!!!!) :p

My read on that comment by NP - juzzzzz being a bit sarcastic about himself. The generous folks that fork over much $$$$$ for his consumer stuff usually are not into DIY type hobbies. If they are into DIY they most likely already own the real stuff and are playing around with DIY for the enjoyment of it.

OTOH - I'm usually wrong about most things - so consider the source.:rolleyes:

(and Terry and ZM and maaaaaany others - I can hear you snickering from here!!!!) :p

In Audio there's no room for humor, so wipe that smile off your face Mister!

Now, there once was these two Norwegians, Swen and Ole...oops!
:eek:

Best Regards,
Terry

That was an interesting letter to Nelson, and takes me back a decade to my humble entry into the world of DIY amplifiers. I'm so thankful to Nelson for taking the time to create simple projects that instruct and satisfy simultaneously. I also want to thank Nelson for suggesting I learn to use a circuit simulator. That single suggestion has had a greater impact on my DIY life than anything else -- of course, a simulator isn't going to teach me the basics as well as Nelson's Zen tutorials.

I will never forget Nelson. :)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think this is where you will find Bob Cordell helpful. His book gives a decent
hand-holding account of firing up LT-Spice and his web site has some models
that are of interest to audio.

Getting used to Spice can be a real effort. Treat is as another DIY effort.

Thanks for the advice. I will eventually have to invest in his book. It is difficult to buy the book because i can get components for an amp for that price. :D I currently prefer making smoke. It seems to hone your concentration and thinking. If errors are costly, you tend to make less of them.