Beginners JFET FAQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perhaps we can start a FAQ here?
I've got a basic question:
I've looked at the Id vs Vds charts (with varying Vgs) and it all makes sense.

But, say I have a J310 and I'd like to build a simple buffer.

How do I choose the appropriate Vds for my application? What am I trying to optimise in the choice of Vds?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Choice of Vds is simple enough, as it mostly considers

1) How much output swing do you need? (Vds has to be higher than that)

2) What is the maximum Vds of the part? (Vds has to be lower than that)

3) What is the load? (The Ids x Vds has to be less than the part can dissipate)

:cool:

Although the link is helpful, I find there is a gap between common electronic knowledge and what makes for good audio amplification. Too many subtle influences between good and great. Ultimately I believe the thing that separates the good from the mediocre, is sheer experience. Best teacher is just trying and possibly failing. Nelson probably has a notebook collection of info/practical experience that would baffle most people.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Pretty good book by the staff at Siliconix (later sold to Vishay) -- see attachment

Also, if you can find it, "FET Circuits" by Rufus P. Turner, ISBN 0672214393 (0-672-21439-3)

Attachments

• fetbook.jpg
    fetbook.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 292
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I think the most helpfull info on Jfet use in audio is the articles by Boberly. I dont think they are still available on the net but if anyone is interested I could send by email.

Borbely practically only used Jfets and mosfets in his designs.

The rest you can read up on Horowitz and Hill.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.