Passlabs Preamp Envelope Design - High-Grade Outline by only 10 parts except Screws

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Passlabs envelope design - high-grade outline and very easy at the same time.
I like this design much more than all the other (especially than the often to find profile enclosure systems with bad quality metric threads in the aluminium).

The envelope of these high quality models consist basically of 10 elements:
- front-panel,
- rear-panel,
- 2x side panels so as
- bottom cover and
- top cover - so as
- four connecting devices therefore, fitting with metric threads, each from four surfaces (see attached image).

What is the colloquial term of this connecting devices?
Are this connecting device even made by default (thus available as standart part) or purely custom-made?

Thank you for your advices.

Attachments

• Passlabs preamp enclosure.jpg
    Passlabs preamp enclosure.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What is the colloquial term of this connecting devices?
Are this connecting device even made by default (thus available as standart part) or purely custom-made?

As Nelson said, "corner block." I've used the terms threaded corner block, corner cleat, mounting block, etc. (but not "bracket," nor "brace.")

Seems there's no standard term or off-the-shelf parts available (at least from McMaster-Carr...)

They are machined from aluminum for us.
We have used these sort of corner blocks since 1991. The refined chassis
you see now is the work of Desmond Harrington, who joined the company in
1996. You may recognize his style from the glory days of Krell.
:cool:
As Nelson said, "corner block." I've used the terms threaded corner block, corner cleat, mounting block, etc. (but not "bracket," nor "brace.")
Seems there's no standard term or off-the-shelf parts available (at least from McMaster-Carr...)

Thank you for all this advices. I have found something now.
Obviously such corner blocks are also available as standart parts and not only as custom made devices - check out this by google:
"MA0586" (e. g. MA0586-16, MA0586-15, MA0586-17 resp. 0586-15 or 0586-16)
MA-0586-16 - Corner Block-24.65mm | RCBits.com.au
Repair Parts-Heli Wholesaler
Midland Helicopters Ltd HeliSprs_MAFury55
Knock-Down K/D Fittings 1
http://www.boononline.com/products_pictures/0586-16.jpg
www.boononline.com
MA0586-16 Corner Block 24.65mm
MA0586-16 Corner Block 24.65mm
Experience RC

The source material for Corner blocks without incised threads:
Square Rod Stock (available as current meter merchandise)
Flat Stock, Al, 6061, 1/4 x 3 In, 3 Ft - Aluminum Blanks, Flats, Bars, Plates, and Sheet Stock - Aluminum - 2EYZ6 : Grainger Industrial Supply
or square rod's
Flat Stock, Al, 6061, 1/4 x 3 In, 3 Ft - Aluminum Blanks, Flats, Bars, Plates, and Sheet Stock - Aluminum - 2EYZ6 : Grainger Industrial Supply
Tube Adapters : TMR Customs, Custom Fabrication Components for Offroad Vehicles
or square bar (resp. rectangular bar)
http://www.metals4u.co.uk/products.asp?cat_id=19

And some URLs arround the other mentioned terms:
corner cleat (in German: angle-iron or mounting brackets)
Large Cleat, Double Slot Corner Cleat, Ironmongery, Height Barriers Park Gate, Small Gates, Belcher S Letter Boxes Service Provider From Uk
C.P. Belcher(Welding) Ltd. - products
mounting block (Eyebolt-Mounting Block)
http://www.heightsafety.com.au/imag...images/LADER001_09-Eyebolt-Mounting-Block.jpg
Z-Laser BM Magnetic mounting block.Cutting Edge Lasers - lasers, laser levels and measuring equipment.

Attachments

• Corner Block MA 0586-16 MA0586-16.gif
    Corner Block MA 0586-16 MA0586-16.gif
    51.2 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
"Rod" is a geometrical term for solid cylinder, and >technically< the type of bar stock known as 'rod' is always round. The bar stock we want here is square bar (or rectangular bar).

My bad, my english dropped me for a second there, I meant to not use the word tube, as those are hollow, and then I came up with rod instead of bar....

You could also order from clickmetal for smaller pieces.
http://www.clickmetal.co.uk/Angle-Types/Square-Bars/c-1-16-11/

Its about 2GBP for 1/4inch per 20cm.

Last edited:
All,

Just check with your local aluminum distributor; these blocks are in fairly common use in the fabrication community.

My local distributor tends to have a selection in stock; if they don't, I buy plate in the thickness I need, and then bandsaw and mill it to the final dimensions I need.

I've also started to TIG weld my chassis; nice small, well-managed welding bead, minimal chassis plate warpage, and once powder coated (or anodized) looks better than most commercial chassis--eliminates the need for the corner blocks....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.