constant current source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That would work fine, although ZV9 is not a constant current source.
If you have an 80 volt supply you may find that the current source and/or
gain devices run very hot. Most of the 80 volts is intended to be dropped
across the light bulb. With a current source you probably want to get down
to 40 to 50 volts.

:cool:

Looking back at the ZV9 there are 10 pages of discussion, with different variations of power supplies,one is a cascode type and another called an ALEPH current source with 50v supply down to 23v on the drain the amplified fet.Would the ALEPH current source be a good choice for an alternative to the light bulbs in the delite amp,I'm using the IXTH6N50D2.

There will be a 100 ohm resistor across the output which will be the load reference,additional negative feedback can help reduce it more, but I will listen to it without first,I usually listen to tube amplifiers anyway so I'm not worried about finite levels of distortion.

choke load

Yeah I did some thinking as well with the choke load, but I could not find one in the 15-20 ohm range,that can handle at least 4 to 5 amps. Maybe a combination choke load with a resistor, if you can find a choke to suit let me know. I think a choke of this caliber might be kind of huge?:)

I will only be using it from 400hz up so I will not need a verry large choke.
I am thinking of something in the 20 to 50 mh range. 4 lbs of 16 gage wire
on a 1" core 1" long will give me 42mh with a dc resistance ~2 ohms. And
I believe the dc resistance is not a factor here it's the ac resistance.

A year ago I built a Zen type amp with a 10mh 10@ choke in series with a 15 ohm resistor, the mosfet biased at 1.6@, a total of 50,000uf filtering a slightly beefed up version of Mark Houstons 2SK1058 amp. It sounded so good one of my buddies wanted one, so I made another one.Now I want to take it to the next level by building a more efficient amp with a ccs supply, more voltage and heavier current more of the same sound with more slam and of course less distortion, I've been reading Nelsons reports on these zen amps going back to 1994-ZV9 in 2006. Like many of you on the forum I'm addicted to the minimalist purist approach.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.