Burning Amp BA-3

hi

:cool:

Nice to see there is still interested in the Burning amps ;)

I got a few of them,Thanks For sharing those (PAPA PASS!) ,with some of your fets in them,lol.2 BA-1,2 BA-3,2 of the F5T's and 2 F5c's Doing well!I have been swapping them in and out of my system at mids,mid bass and high's to see how they sound best,but not much heat they are all water cooled,I enclosed a copper server heatsink's and mounted the fets on them,running Bias @3 amps ,the sinks just get warm,so I'm happy.I am presently moving all of them to a cabinet style rack,I run active 4 ways.I run my computer into a DEC2496 to 2 DCX2496 and into the amps,I got a class D 550 watt for each 18 " sub(Xoc1's) subs ,I haven't tried a B3 there yet ,but I will try 12 fets there per sub soon,I need to wind those transformers for them,all ways something ,lol.
Thanks for the reply!
NS

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The last two days I played again with the BA-3 Frontend and a crippled F4 behind it.

You all know that Nelson used a Clarity Cap PWA in his build shown in the Forums article.

I found this cap a bit harmless so I tried some more....

- old Obbligato (no gold, no copper, the first one): very lively and articulated, but weaker bass or body than PWA.

- pure KP Cornell Dubilier, too stressing for longer hearing, very articulated

- Silmic II in the middle of all caps, still a really good allrounder!

- Clarity Cap ESA, better deep bass than PWA, upper bass a bit thin, seems to me artificial in the separation of space, HiFi special.... :)

- Clarity Cap PWA, best 3 dimensional room feeling and right/left seperation, but a bit tame. Very good for longtime hearing.

So my recommendation for my system (Lowther and Tone Tubby)
was either the all rounder Silmic II or PWA!

:D:D:D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
o.k. today...

I looked for the distortion spectra of my BA-3/crippled (only one pair of IRFs) F4 combination,

and the k2 was very dominant, about 20db higher than k3, THD was around 0.034%.

That was a surprise, the J-Fets of the BA-3 input were matched in Idss and the F4 output stage itself was k3 dominant. So I expected from the input stage also k3 dominance.

I measured both Idss of J74 and K170 again, values were 9,64mA/9,62mA. not bad....nevertheless....

Conclusion is, same Idss seems not to be a guaranty for a k2 minimum and k3 dominance.

Help was of course the P3 pot with 100R, Nelson suggested. I put it in and trimmed the distortion to minimal k2 and so the amp got k3 dominant.
THD was very low now around 0.01%
That was what I intended at the moment.....:D

Distortion measurement is really useful! Especially when you do not know so much about electronics.....

:D:D:D

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
after hearing the BA-3 about ten days...
switching between +10db k2, +6db k2 and -10db k2 and -6db k2 and k2=k3....

I settled down with k2 minimum, k3 dominant, THD minimum.

The sound was the most detailed and freshest.....

and I decided to change, instead of more k2, the loudspeaker crossover to give a bit more body.

Finally!

:D