Burning Amp BA-3

I believe they do. THe question is not really whether or not the caps sound different, it is whether or not you can hear the difference. There are people in music that can hear and define different pitches easily, but not all of us have this ability. Even if you can, it is still about the circuit more than the parts.

I believe they do. THe question is not really whether or not the caps sound different, it is whether or not you can hear the difference. There are people in music that can hear and define different pitches easily, but not all of us have this ability. Even if you can, it is still about the circuit more than the parts.

HI buzzforb you are rigth !

My personal experience confirm what I read and learning here , to hear difference need a good system (diy of course) and trained hear , no magical component only different construction and material ,you know all caps are a resistor and coils too ,are microfonic ,add distortion and vary with frequency...
the circuit is more important as you said ,I like to try different component to fine voice a taste.
unlike for my money good component sound better ,this what I found..sad
ciao

Last edited:
Contrary to popular opinion our senses are not hard wired. For example our sense of vision only has certain colours hard wired from birth such as the colour blue but other colours and shades are learned as we grow and our ability to see colours has been linked to our vocabulary. The greater our descriptive vocabulary for colours, the greater is our ability to identify different colours and shades of colour. There is no reason why our other senses shouldn’t be the same such as our hearing. Those who spend time describing small changes in sound (as a result of component changes for example) because they write about such things or are just interested enough to make notes about such changes will use an extensive vocabulary compared to the casual listener and may well actually be able to hear differences we have been talking about here.
People who enjoy wine do the same thing in describing what they sense and improving their vocabulary hence improving their sense of smell.

However, it has been noted that no two people probably see the same colours when they look at something so it is likely that we can apply the same principle to listening. None of us will hear exactly what someone else hears but a good ear should be able to tell the difference between one sound and another (if there is one of course).
Life continues to fascinate me.
Chris

If you watch the coloures of a rainbow you will see a ditribution of many different colours but no single one, it is simply physical due to the light refraction and depending on the angle of view etc. Thus nobody can really see or define, or exactly describe the colour he perceive.
Similar it is with our listening perception. Because many different influences as sound reflection, different hear habits, hear/listen training etc. etc. have an influence on our sound and listening perception.
In addition only few people have the complex vocabulary needed do describe and differentiate the complex perception of f.e. music.
But this will not automatically mean that a human person is not capable to perceive even slight variations on the sound or more or less micro informations in the music which probably are caused from different components in an electronic design used, specifically capacitors.
Since many years I'm building electronic devices as audio phono amps, line pre-amps, power amps, filters etc, as well as loudspeakers.

Sometimes - or even more frequently - and depending on my actual mood, I try to implement different components and am most of the time surprised when friends f.e. musiscians or audio hobby friends visits me and prior to any announcement from my side often immediately remark that some thing in my system has been changed.

To summarize, many people with trained ears for music listening are able to perceive even small differences and this even after a certain disruption time, but it is difficult for the majority to desribe exactly the changes in their musical perception.
Gerd

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Maybe Bournes blue body white rotation part....

447355_RB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

I personally do not like the single turn pots. Multi are much easier to use and adjust and will fit the board just fine. BTW. I have single turn on my boards and when i got to balanced, I will be switching them out.

Also, IMHO, the BA3 presents the kind of sound that makes me want to stop building amps. and just listen. You have before you a scalable no feedback amp that is capable of extreme low distortion and wonderful sound. I have tried IRF fets and lateral fets in output. I have yet to try Fairchild parts, but seem disinterested because they are impossible to find and i only have 6 pairs. I only have these thanks to Generg. The laterals do not push outinto the room like the IRF, but have a much richer, fuller, and more accurate tone. I have some of the fets for the EUVL f5X that i have enough of to try and may do so based on the fact they seem to work well in this type situation in my reading.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Also, IMHO, the BA3 presents the kind of sound that makes me want to stop building amps. and just listen. You have before you a scalable no feedback amp that is capable of extreme low distortion and wonderful sound.

Hi Buzzforb,

I totally agree! I’m running 10pr of old IRF240/9240 (TO3) with 6 amps bias and +-18V rails. I’m just blown away by the sound. Open and present with a great sense of space. It’s like a cross between an F3 and the F5, open and sweet and with punch and control. It’s a little more complicated to build than the F5 and it is worth the effort. :)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi buzzforb,

Happy to hear that you like your present sound so much ...... That building is no more so important. I have just the same point.....

It seems that the pots in Nelson's picture are single turn ...... Of course I like the multi turn also more, but ra7 was looking for the same type so I wanted to help him....:D

Hi buzzforb,

Happy to hear that you like your present sound so much ...... That building is no more so important. I have just the same point.....

It seems that the pots in Nelson's picture are single turn ...... Of course I like the multi turn also more, but ra7 was looking for the same type so I wanted to help him....:D

I know you were just helping, i figured i would throw in the multiturn suggestion. I have been in the situation too many times where i didnt think beyond what was on the page in front of me.