Burning Amp BA-3

Buzz - are you suggesting the variations in the output sections of the FW designs are comparatively less significant than what might be implied. I believe you do give a nod to the complementary over the SE.

How close to what you like about the AJ can one get by tweaking any of the BA designs, and/or by combining complementary and balanced features? Is there an area you (or anyone who cares to comment) feel the BA series trumps the "F" designs and other approaches?

Last edited:
In the BA amps, the SE version is very similar to the Aleph in its basic nature, but is not quite the same. I only listened to the BA2 for a little bit, but it did not strike me as similar to the AJ. I did listen to only the Ba2 FE and not the SE output. If you tihnk it sounds like the F5, then I would say it does not sound like the AJ. But that is opinion.

As for the output, any change in component brings about a possible/probable change in sound. THe active devices being the place of greatest impact. Different devices have different operating points and are different in how complimentary they are. The Leaving Class A article suggest a topoolgy alteration that is alos a point of manipulation. All choices affect the sound. You could spend a couple years playing with just the BA amps and be amazed at how much you could alter the sound. I don't think most realize the amount of work that goes into these amps before they are released.
Put a low power version of the AJ in front of an F4 and you have the closest thing you will get to an AJ and gain some control in the process. FWIW, Generg prefers the AJ with the old school mosfet FE. Go figure:)
Power, DF, and overall control are what the BA amps offer over the FW amps. THe FW amps tend to offer flavor, if playing through certain speakers. I want to build a horn based speaker, just to build the F2J.

O.K. thanks. Really starting to understand what NP means by "modular approach" in his writings. Mix and match at will. - almost:)

EDIT: Please let us know what horn design you select when the time comes. Another area of interest for me and I suspect others.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I would disagree with Jim.

Funny, as I actually agree with everything you say below... :) :) :)

For me, the AJ offers something the other two amps do not, when it comes to the midrange and top end. It is silky smooth, with plenty of air, and just the right amount of bloom in the midrange. If i could pick a shape to describe the soundstage it creates, I would pick a bubble, if that makes sense. Its a big, soft, busty woman, that you just want to grab and snuggle with. Yes I said snuggle:D
That's a very good description, and the 'bubble' is a good observation, there is a certain magic to it. My original response was specifically to Bob, who was wanting to 'tone control' his high treble with the amps, where a change in tweeter resistor would be more appropriate to what he was asking for.

Although there is some difference in the higher registers between the amps, I have always found some to be more musical than others, instead of which one can resolve the audiophile adjectives the best.

The F5 is my least favorite amp of the FW series, but it is not because it is bad, it just does not have a personality.
I agree completely -- with the understanding that it's still, very much, one of the Ferraris from my previous post.

IT offers nothing but reproduction and just tend to like a little syrup with my ice cream. It does nothing wrong and arguably performs well in all regards, but it does not offer me something to get excited about.

When it's all said and done, people in this hobby don't like neutral and flat, even if they think they do. The F5 is really, incredibly neutral.

It does not seem to excel in anything, but is good at everything.

And is even better with parallel outputs, as you could build on the F5C boards, or make an F5T with no diodes.

The F4/(whatever FE, in this case, BA3 or BA3B) is more similar to the F5, but the ability to add some toppings.

ZenMod said it best - the F4 sounds like whatever preamp you have driving it. It's invisible.

You can just play with the Ba3 FE by changing fets or by tweaking sound with P3, or go further and dive into Leaving CLass A article. It is a twiddlers amp and has the abilty to variations in sound. By far the most versatile of his amps, and under capable hands, has a lot of upside potential, if you consider some commercial offerings. Unfortunately, this takes skill beyond my level and beyond that of most who build these amps.
I don't think it's all that hard, actually, (speaking specifically to BA-3 FE and Complimentary output) as you can dial your romance level with P3, build balanced or not (the FE PCB is completely set up for it) and have as many output devices as you have heatsink for. IMO the BA-3 is Nelson's greatest gift to the DIY community in about the last decade, as it combines the best aspects of a few designs and is expandable to whatever power you desire.

Of the FW amps I have built, the AJ is top 3, maybe 2 in terms of lasting impression it made on my auditory memory.

Agreed.

more scraps, please!
@bcmBob nd whoever else is reading. The fun is in the journey and the learning(aka, magic smoke)

Someone on the forum said "the best sounding amp is the one in front of you when you stop looking for the best sounding amp." :D I have thoroughly enjoyed the adventure and learning process over the past five years, but after 10 amps, three DACs and several preamps, I'm becoming more cautious about if and when I start a new project. The advice and opinions shared here on the forum are highly respected and helpful in making that determination.

I'm actually at the point that I believe it's time for me to return to the other element, as Buzz states - "You quickly find that the speakers and the room are the big limiters". It's known that I like the Sunflower speakers and I also own a nice set of DIY two-way MTMs designed on the LEAP development system by Madisound. As good as they are, I'm suspecting neither is the best match for anything in the the "World of Pass". ;) Of course I'm hearing that excellent super clean flat and uncolored sound Jim mentions, but don't think I've found the "sweet spot" in system integration with discrete amps yet. Jim did a review of my favorite chip-based amp I sent him and may be able to shed some light on whether the two approaches should even be auditioned on a single speaker design.

I've been discussing the possibility of a new TL with Paul K., but continue to see horns and OB speakers matched with Pass amps consistently. The AJ is attracting my interest as it appears to be unique in the line, but I should probably do some work/investigation on speakers and room treatments before I proceed with more electronics. A balanced BA-3 with comp outputs is my next logical step with what I have in front of me now. Gathering info and asking a lot of questions here is quite helpful in setting the next set of priorities.

Thanks All.

Last edited:
Look into a floorstander version of the Tempest 12. It is designed by a very competent person, is high efficiency,in one regard, and comes ready to go except for a box. It will give you an idea of whether you like this style of speaker or not.

My brother listens to these with J2 clone with OPPO 105 FE and it sounds pretty damn amazing. I am building him a clone of EUVL's balanced F5 preamp, as in this case, I want the power amp to define the sound and just want he pre to disappear after giving up some gain. ALthough it is only 87dB, I do not walk away wanting more power. It is not a rock monster, but then again, it is a bookshelf speaker. After his preamp, we will redo his RIaa, designed by Salas. I would argue this is a combo that would suit all but the most discerning audiophiles.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 518
Last edited: