Burning Amp BA-3

Read the article again and found no explanation of the sound. Reminded me of another one his writings where he stated how he had grown tired of saying how it sounds. Looks like Generg will be the first to tell. I have a feeling it will be good. THank goodness i have two sets of F4 boards sitting around. Drop those nasty input pairs and we have the beginnings of something real NICE. Guess i will have to compare it to Juma's F5 and the Aleph J of course.

It just so happens that I stumbled upon some recently. I thought you might be coming with an SRPP VAS, as they apparently do well with large loads Like the F4. Or was it the Mu follower. TOO many amps floating around in my head:) What is the input impedance of the output stage?

I ordered my boards already.

Great service here! Thank you very much! (I hope the German customs won't let me wait once again for 3 months, before they decide to release them.)

It sounds really good.

:cool:

especially if you use the parts specified.

Of course it will! Thank you so much for sharing this gem! :hug: I guess it will perfectly drive the SemiSouth output stage circuit that's circulating here?
Interesting "Pass"-Clarity Caps populating the board. What's the story of them?
Actually the "MR" Clarity Cap is my favorite (high pass) crossover cap at the moment. I use them in my Thor Evos. They are expensive, but really excellent!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
minor problem forgot R8/9 first :D

first module adjusted......:)

Attachments

• 106_0012.jpg
    106_0012.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 3,526
Joined 2009
Paid Member
o.k. :D

another problem using the F5 boards, this boards leads the gate resistor directly to the caps and you hear nothing..........!:(

Even when the DC values are correct, Ac is fed to the rails, ha,ha:D

so I can only recommend to use the original boards.....:p:p:p

I tried to make no faults but I made three......
:eek:

to a first sound check:

one channel Babelfish J2,
the other channel crippled F4 and BA-3

speakers Tiny Open Baffle from Jons idea

playing Ella Fitzgerald monaural recordings ......so charming...nevertheless which amp!

Semisouth solution has as always its own charm, sounding a bit darker and giving voices bit more body

BA-3 and F4 combined has more precision in sound for example piano, and sounds very relaxed and natural .....

buy the boards.........!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Besides the stinking name, :rolleyes:, Darmstadt has wonderful woods indeed.......:D:D:D......

better that than Schweifurt

:clown:

regarding tests - you can compare BA3 FE with follower type amp/output vs. regular amp strictly in informative purposes ;

too much gain in system with former...... ( waste of signal energy )

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
oh, I know Zen Mod....:)

I had only a 10k pot before

- Semisouth Mu follower solution with 20db (not really Babel J2, but a modified version, to be absolutely correct)

and

- BA-3 combined with (special crippled) F4

@tea-bag: the difference in loudness is small between BA-3 amplification and the 20 db of SemiSolution.....so no problem to use it as a pre too....

and you know how difficult it is to describe Amplifer solutions on such a high level we are used to, in their sound differences....... and we all know he Mu-follower, we use, has more k2 and F4 and BA-3 more k3........so my description is very understandable!

in the evening the second channel is made...... second BAF night planned!

have fun build an AMP!:D:D:D

@variac: my BA-3 boards are ordered............

Last edited:
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am also interested in what Mr. Rothacher is scheming with this front end.
I have an idea, but only a guess.

Well, I thought I should build myself one of these fabled "Burning Amps".

Actually, I'm a robo-consumer pod person. It said Pass on the label and I automatically clicked "BUY".

Last edited:
Many thanks to Nelson and everyone else who have helped bring this project to us proletariat. Very exciting (my wife just agreed—irony or enlightenment?) Just read the article and there’s more in there I understand than when I read the BA-2 details 18 months ago. However, a couple of things. Nelson mentions C3 and suggests using polyprop, electrolytic or both; so 5uF of polyprop and 5uF of electrolytic (got to be Silmic II ) would be OK? Would save on size and cost perhaps.
The other thing is these Toshiba JFETs. Can anyone say if there is a difference between 2SJ74 and 2SJ74BL and also 2SK170 BL/GR/V. I’ve checked the spec sheet but it doesn’t mention these.
Chris