Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
nope :) :smash:
I'm sure it 'belongs' where it is, with the outputs

Attachments

• BA-2-3.jpg
    BA-2-3.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 704
If your talking about putting the bias circuit in a seperate enclosure with FE using seperated PSU then i can see it being a bad idea, but as it stands now, the bias circuit is seperated from tthe output board and need only be placed in same enclosure with same PSU. So, if you wanted to put a custom BA-3 FE with bias onboard in same enclosure with hradwired output stage, i don't see how this would be any different thatn the setup from the DIYAudio store. Perhaps you could explain why it would be.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
absolutely correct

bias curcuit could be placed on frontend board
but according to conclusion, it should still be powered from same supply as output stage

frontend itself could still have its own seperate supply, but not the bias curcuit
whether it makes sense or not
but I'm in doubt about it
right now I might just use additional bank of small supply caps fore the frontend
much simpler

no doubt, Nelson's 'new modular system' means that even the seperate bias board could more easily be replaced by other bias module

its no doubt safer to use the modules on hand in store
and value of amp will no doubt also be higher, and neater
but personally I learn more from trying to change things
that is if it doesn't burst into flames :flame:
I hope thats not what burning amps means
but nothing decided yet:h_ache:
other than I have to build it :whip:
but balanced is not cheap
need to calculate any possible risks

but hey, its about having fun too :)
and I could use another heater during the winter
a highend heater playing nice music :D

those are the thoughts directly from my confused brain

The bias i think should come up slowly with the output voltage. So it must be connected to those V+ and V-. I would not like to see a big THUMP from fragile speakers. ..
The FE can be powered up & shut down independently of the output stage.
I made various variants of the output stage and FE (what i called the driver then), just connected with two wires.