Burning Amp BA-3 - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2011, 10:43 AM   #161
diyAudio Member

I spoke before about following Nelson's lead with the whole modular setup and have a specific question concerning it. If I wanted to put the different FE-nds in a small seperate box and run them off the same rails as the output stage, what kind of connector can carry that voltage and current and what grounding issues would there be? I only hvae to worry about the current that the FE will pull and not what is available, correct.
Old 27th September 2011, 12:07 PM   #162
generg is offline generg  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Botte,

I will measure my gain today.......so we can compare!
Old 27th September 2011, 03:32 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
what kind of connector can carry that voltage and current and what grounding issues would there be? I only hvae to worry about the current that the FE will pull and not what is available, correct.
On the connector front I can recommend Neutrik loudspeaker plugs and sockets (from Maplin in UK) which are rated at 20A or so. They have good soldering and connection surfaces and lock in place. I think you should consider a star ground in your separate front end box connected to star ground in main box linked by shielded three core cable--I have had good results with Supra LoRad 2.5. The latter is very effective, cheap, very flexible and the shield is linked to the earth via a semiconducting earth insulator so you don't need to wire up a separate drain wire.
Chris
Old 27th September 2011, 03:48 PM   #164
diyAudio Member

I had looked at their standrad XLR and Powercon connectors. Would shielding be beneficial in a DC power connection?
Old 27th September 2011, 08:03 PM   #165
diyAudio Member

@sorry Botte

Could not do it today......but I stay tuned, I want to know it myself!
Old 27th September 2011, 09:02 PM   #166
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbones View Post
On the connector front I can recommend Neutrik loudspeaker plugs and sockets (from Maplin in UK) which are rated at 20A or so. They have good soldering and connection surfaces and lock in place.
Are you referring to their Speakon connector? Those are very nice.
Old 28th September 2011, 03:02 PM   #167
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
I had looked at their standrad XLR and Powercon connectors. Would shielding be beneficial in a DC power connection?
Absolutely. The longer your wires the longer your aerials. The shielding will not fully protect from RFI but it is better than none. RFI gets into the electronics and screws them up. Expect mid-band hardness and lack of bass definition for example. I was thinking about the post on Supra wire and I've changed my mind. It is a very good shielded mains wire for all the reasons I gave but you really need four wires. The first three are for +, grnd and -ve. the fourth I think should be the drain wire connecting the shielding which I would twist with the outer braid and use this to earth your front end box (if it is metal). I forgot to mention this. So the power grnd goes to your star earth and is connected to the chassis via the Thermistor (CL60). The chassis is also earthed to the mains earth and I think you should connect the earth of the chassis (not star grnd) to the front end box for safety, using the drain/braid of the shielded wire. So the latter joins and two chassis and also grounds (as best it can) any RFI.
I think the Neutrik plug is indeed the Speakon, which on mine has four connection points.
Chris
Old 28th September 2011, 03:12 PM   #168
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the 4 pin connectors to deal with grounding issue.
Old 28th September 2011, 04:25 PM   #169
diyAudio Member

Further to your question on heatsinks, here is a link you may find helpful

Basic Theory
Old 28th September 2011, 07:45 PM   #170
diyAudio Member

O.k.

I just measured the amplifikation of my BA-3

Tam, tam it is about 10 times! That means in a good range!

My R13 is only 300 Ohm, so I suppose with 330 Ohm you will come to a little bit more amplification.

Hide this!Advertise here!