Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Burning Amp BA-3
Burning Amp BA-3
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2014, 04:10 PM   #1651
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
more scraps, please!
@bcmBob nd whoever else is reading. The fun is in the journey and the learning(aka, magic smoke)
Someone on the forum said "the best sounding amp is the one in front of you when you stop looking for the best sounding amp." I have thoroughly enjoyed the adventure and learning process over the past five years, but after 10 amps, three DACs and several preamps, I'm becoming more cautious about if and when I start a new project. The advice and opinions shared here on the forum are highly respected and helpful in making that determination.

I'm actually at the point that I believe it's time for me to return to the other element, as Buzz states - "You quickly find that the speakers and the room are the big limiters". It's known that I like the Sunflower speakers and I also own a nice set of DIY two-way MTMs designed on the LEAP development system by Madisound. As good as they are, I'm suspecting neither is the best match for anything in the the "World of Pass". Of course I'm hearing that excellent super clean flat and uncolored sound Jim mentions, but don't think I've found the "sweet spot" in system integration with discrete amps yet. Jim did a review of my favorite chip-based amp I sent him and may be able to shed some light on whether the two approaches should even be auditioned on a single speaker design.

I've been discussing the possibility of a new TL with Paul K., but continue to see horns and OB speakers matched with Pass amps consistently. The AJ is attracting my interest as it appears to be unique in the line, but I should probably do some work/investigation on speakers and room treatments before I proceed with more electronics. A balanced BA-3 with comp outputs is my next logical step with what I have in front of me now. Gathering info and asking a lot of questions here is quite helpful in setting the next set of priorities.

Thanks All.

Last edited by bcmbob; 24th April 2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 24th April 2014, 04:36 PM   #1652
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

Burning Amp BA-3
he-he :-) If you still ask me what amp to make AJ will be my first answer :-) No, I don't own one, but it always be there as a first love :-)
Old 24th April 2014, 04:41 PM   #1653
diyAudio Member

Please excuse me for being repetitive, but can you tell us what style of speakers were used when you formed that impression?
Old 24th April 2014, 04:41 PM   #1654
buzzforb is offline buzzforb  United States
diyAudio Member

Look into a floorstander version of the Tempest 12. It is designed by a very competent person, is high efficiency,in one regard, and comes ready to go except for a box. It will give you an idea of whether you like this style of speaker or not.

My brother listens to these with J2 clone with OPPO 105 FE and it sounds pretty damn amazing. I am building him a clone of EUVL's balanced F5 preamp, as in this case, I want the power amp to define the sound and just want he pre to disappear after giving up some gain. ALthough it is only 87dB, I do not walk away wanting more power. It is not a rock monster, but then again, it is a bookshelf speaker. After his preamp, we will redo his RIaa, designed by Salas. I would argue this is a combo that would suit all but the most discerning audiophiles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (527.1 KB, 465 views)

Last edited by buzzforb; 24th April 2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 24th April 2014, 04:45 PM   #1655
diyAudio Member

That Tempest looks interesting. I'll do some reading. Thanks.
Old 24th April 2014, 04:46 PM   #1656
diyAudio Member

i added the pic of the Satori build to the last post. It is an excellent speaker with both subjective and measured performance. The ba amps would be more than enough for it. It was designed by Jeff Bagby as well.
Old 24th April 2014, 06:46 PM   #1657
Samuel Jayaraj is offline Samuel Jayaraj  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
J2 clone, F6(revison-funny^6),BA3B
Thanks!!!

I've been wanting to do an inverted AJ with either BF862 or 2SK170 inputs and P-channel Mosfet outputs because the 2SJ74s are so hard to come by, especially matched. I would be very grateful if someone could optimize such a scheme in simulation. Thanks again.
Old 24th April 2014, 07:25 PM   #1658
diyAudio Member

Not worth the trouble. Get you fets from Spencer @ Fet Audio.
Old 24th April 2014, 09:20 PM   #1659
MASantos is offline MASantos  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Zhoufang still sells 2sk170 on ebay and they are genuine. No p channel ones available though. He also had a great track record here.
Old 24th April 2014, 09:28 PM   #1660
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Burning Amp BA-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jayaraj View Post
I've been wanting to do an inverted AJ with either BF862 or 2SK170 inputs and P-channel Mosfet outputs because the 2SJ74s are so hard to come by, especially matched.
As Buzzforb says, not worth the effort, it's easier and cheaper in the long run to buy matched J74 from Spencer.

FET Audio | Hi-End Audio ProjectsStore | FET Audio

Burning Amp BA-3Hide this!Advertise here!