Burning Amp BA-3

Thanks Tim. What are those heatsinks rated at?

I don't know: I got them at a surplus store for 20c each. They were originally a different shape (you can see how I mangled them) so they probably are performing slightly better than spec (more stretched out than originally).

They get up to about 34 degrees C with the cover off in my overheated workspace - probably no more than 10 degrees over ambient.

tim

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
it is often said about amps they tend to sound thin with lower bias

don't why I always prefer to keep bias below the point where it changes character
but it usually sounds cleaner to me

I know this may not be 'in general', and that other factors play a role as well
speakers maybe (?)

BA-3 wierdnesses

I've noticed a couple of slightly strange things with my BA-3:
  1. It takes a while for the right channel to develop gain. When I first turn it on, there's normal gain in the left channel, but the right channel is quieter. It comes up to normal over a period of several minutes.
  2. The -ve rail seems to draw more current than the +ve rail, which leads to slightly different supply voltages for each. Not a big difference, and probably due to transistor variation, I'd guess?
I haven't done much exploration yet - I'm sure I'll learn more as I tweak.

tim

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've noticed a couple of slightly strange things with my BA-3:
  1. It takes a while for the right channel to develop gain. When I first turn it on, there's normal gain in the left channel, but the right channel is quieter. It comes up to normal over a period of several minutes.
  2. The -ve rail seems to draw more current than the +ve rail, which leads to slightly different supply voltages for each. Not a big difference, and probably due to transistor variation, I'd guess?
I haven't done much exploration yet - I'm sure I'll learn more as I tweak.

tim

Ha, ha! I am not alone....

I had the difference in the negative supply voltage too!

But only with a supply like Nelson used in X0 with an 7815, the voltage got down to 5 (!) V on the negative rail.
This did not happen with shunties and the aleph P supply...
The x0 supply works fine with all other pres Aleph P, pumpkin...

I do not know why......

Timbarnes do you have a gain of 30 or about 8 like Botte and me?

I could not get less distortion with the higher bias, but I did not check the sound.

:)

Ha, ha! I am not alone....

I had the difference in the negative supply voltage too!

But only with a supply like Nelson used in X0 with an 7815, the voltage got down to 5 (!) V on the negative rail.
This did not happen with shunties and the aleph P supply...
The x0 supply works fine with all other pres Aleph P, pumpkin...
:)

I had a big power supply sag when I had a couple of 30V zeners in the power supply (with series resistors, of course). I thought I'd calculated them to allow enough current, but the power supply sagged to 9V. The amp worked fine, but it didn't seem like the right thing, so I took out the zeners and resistors, and put a power resistor in the AC line after the fuse to bring down the line voltage a bit.

My transformer is 24+24V, which gives 37V no-load.

So with a simple CRC filtered supply it's all working OK, even though 32V is a big higher than ideal.

tim

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm running the gain stage at about 32V, with P1 and P2 close to max to get 1V across R10 and R11. I can get the DC offset very close to zero, but I have no idea how to set P3, because I don't have a distortion meter.
I will shortly be in the same situation:confused:
Any suggestions for a decent piece of equipment that does not cost thousands of $. Please PM. Sorry, for being OT - won't happen again!
Cheers,
Nic

I will shortly be in the same situation:confused:
Any suggestions for a decent piece of equipment that does not cost thousands of $. Please PM. Sorry, for being OT - won't happen again!
Cheers,
Nic

I think this setting the required amount of harmonics is part of the heart of the BA-3.

I once saw a series of block 'waves', a specific pattern, described in an article, that was supposed to show a drift off 0 volt, when 2nd harmonics was present in the amplifier. I must admit this article was from the early eighties, probably in l'Audiophile,
I hope mentioning this triggers someone else.
At least I can look out for it :scratch:.

So then the pattern can be distributed as a WAV file and you would not need a sophisticated measurement.
albert

I had a big power supply sag when I had a couple of 30V zeners in the power supply (with series resistors, of course). I thought I'd calculated them to allow enough current, but the power supply sagged to 9V. The amp worked fine, but it didn't seem like the right thing, so I took out the zeners and resistors, and put a power resistor in the AC line after the fuse to bring down the line voltage a bit.

My transformer is 24+24V, which gives 37V no-load.

So with a simple CRC filtered supply it's all working OK, even though 32V is a big higher than ideal.

tim

Tim,
Is your power supply then just CRC filtered with no voltage reg?

Recent experiences with the BiB shunt reg where I thought the current was seven times lower than it actually was. With a lesser load I could set the voltage happily at the required 12V but in actual use under the bigger load it wouldn't shift above 9V until I increased the current to the mosfet. I just wonder whether one of the mosfets here is being starved somehow. Layman's point of view this.
Chris

Tim,
Is your power supply then just CRC filtered with no voltage reg?

Just CRC - 15 ohm because that's what I had lying around.

Because the BA-3 is able to be set up as part of a power amp, I simply created a smaller version of a typical Pass power supply. I could also have just run power from the F4, I guess, but I liked the idea of a separate power supply for greater flexibility.

tim