Burning Amp BA-3

I have only biased to just a hair under 1
I read this.
You didn't specify volts or amps.
I usually quote bias in amps.
I built one channel of a BBA3 many years ago, just running on lab power supply still not complete.
I don't need to read the build guide, just need to look at the circuit. I've certainly read every article by Papa many times over.
I'm just curious about your experience. That's it.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I read this.
You didn't specify volts or amps.
I usually quote bias in amps.
I built one channel of a BBA3 many years ago, just running on lab power supply still not complete.
I don't need to read the build guide, just need to look at the circuit. I've certainly read every article by Papa many times over.
I'm just curious about your experience. That's it.
The poster, who I responded to, knew exactly what I meant. That's who I wrote it to, no need to concern about my experience!

Russellc

I'm confused; I've been pretty determined to build a single ended BA3, but maybe I want more power; maybe a complimentary with double output boards would do the trick...?

So,- the real question is actually if a 4U/400mm chassis will provide sufficient cooling for a complimentary with double output boards, or should I aim for a 5U/400mm?

I'm pretty sure I've read something about it somewhere, but I can't recall where exactly. 240VA to 400VA makes it possible to save both money and weight; I was concidering 2x600VA. Overkill isn't always the way to go, but I believe I'll be able to stuff a 5U/400 chassis quite well :)

Thanks a lot!

Jørgen

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm pretty sure I've read something about it somewhere, but I can't recall where exactly. 240VA to 400VA makes it possible to save both money and weight; I was concidering 2x600VA. Overkill isn't always the way to go, but I believe I'll be able to stuff a 5U/400 chassis quite well :)

Thanks a lot!

Jørgen

I used a 24 volt 1000VA SUMR for 32 volt rails, but only because I had it from a Turbo F-5 group buy. It is overkill and it is heavy. I forgot to upgrade the 25 volt 1000uF caps on the BA-3 board, they took it, but I did change them out for higher voltage spec caps to be safe.... Enjoy your build, I know I did!:)

Russellc

A question for the more knowledgeable guys:

I am considering building a dual mono BA3 balanced in a 5U big chassis case, with one channel per side. Is it better to have 32v rails and lower bias or 24v rails and higher bias? Has anyone ever made this experience?

That would depend on the impedance and sensitivity of your speakers and how loud you listen to music.
On a push pull circuit I'd lean towards more voltage, on a single ended circuit more bias current but that's just my general rule of thumb

Last edited:
A question for the more knowledgeable guys:

I am considering building a dual mono BA3 balanced in a 5U big chassis case, with one channel per side. Is it better to have 32v rails and lower bias or 24v rails and higher bias? Has anyone ever made this experience?

I understand the math behind it, I was looking for listening impressions.
Are you seriously expecting some other Members to build both versions for you so that your can hear their subjective opinion on the perceived audible differences?