Burning Amp BA-3

Would appreciate some advice before ordering a new toroid. I've got two 500VA 24v toroids that I had planed to use for a F5t, but have changed my mind and am putting together a BA-3 instead. Is it any use trying to bring down the voltage of these transformers to 18v, so that I can run at a higher bias in a 4U chassis, or would I be better of getting a new 18v toroid? I'm planing to us the Universal Power Supply from the store...

Appreciate any suggestions!

//Ronny

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Total bias is better thought of as heat, not voltage, and you will hit the limit of excess heat in your heatsinks before any other limiting factor...

Make the BA-3 with one of your transformers. The higher voltage has some good advantages.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Would appreciate some advice before ordering a new toroid. I've got two 500VA 24v toroids that I had planed to use for a F5t, but have changed my mind and am putting together a BA-3 instead. Is it any use trying to bring down the voltage of these transformers to 18v, so that I can run at a higher bias in a 4U chassis, or would I be better of getting a new 18v toroid? I'm planing to us the Universal Power Supply from the store...

Appreciate any suggestions!

//Ronny

Just go for it. I did the same thing, wantrd to build turbo F5, then went with BA-3. I ended up with 31 volt rails from my 1000VA 24+24 volt trany. So was 6l6's build, any higher and you will need cascode for sure. Surprising jump in power.

Russellc

Found a pair of broken Bonnec Alto for sale. Does anybody know if they could possibly handle the heat from the BA-3 with 18v toroids? I was thinking of maybe building them as two separate mono amps if one is not enough, if that could work? Totally new to this, so any suggestions are appreciated!

I wouldn't put my hand on that with a BA-3 inside it.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    2 KB · Views: 332

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
There's no advantage in doing that. (Other than using up your transformers)

32VAC will rectify into about 44VDC, minus about 2 for the diode drop leaving 42V rails.

As the BA-3 output stage has no gain, you will never hit the rails, as the output voltage cant be higher than the rails of the gain stage.

Buy 24VAC transformers. OR make an active regulator like in Zen Variations 3, but that adds to your total heat footprint.