Srajan has the 1st SIT amp for Une dégustation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
One thing I've wondered about these new SITs:

Anyone know if it planned to make them available to the DIY community to play with

It costs an enormous amount of money to get a run of these made. My
current inventory is only large enough to float the R&D and the FW initial
production, and that will have to be a success before I can afford the next
run after that.

If you can raise $300K for a group buy, it can happen in 6 months or so,
otherwise DIYers will be waiting a while.

:cool:

As I said before I am good for $300 totaly blind (Just loads of faight in Papa )

I may even get more in 6 months as I have given up Fags and so I can save a bit of dosh.

Is a pruduction run normaly for 10K units? (question sorth of mentioned before)

So one down for GB 999 to Go

Nelson, are any of these new SIT amps be upcoming DIY with published circuts from the start or will they be non disclosed like the J2 until production stops?

And if they are upcoming DIY, would they be published about when the GB would run or some time afterwards?

I myself can't design good working circuts from scratch, but if I had one or more mature circuts to play with as a starting point I too would want to buy some transistors in the GB =)

perhaps you should read the article linked that this thread is about. there will not be any sits available to the diy crowd at least until he has sold out the first batch to cover the large buy in cost. that; in my book is perfectly reasonable; Nelson already gives more freely to the forum of his intellectual property (which equates to money) and time than we have a right to expect.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I seem to have missed my mid-life crisis and failed to buy the very
expensive toy. So I bought these devices - much more entertaining
than a Ferrari.

There will be a SIT version of the Nemesis in the next Linear Audio (I hope
I'm not creating trouble for Jan here), and also mr.-smarty-pants Mike
Rothacher is cooking something else up for the DIY crowd.

I am interested in promoting these sorts of devices because they cater to
the kinds of designs I like (you know what kinds those are). Rising waters
will eventually float all the boats and several varieties of these parts will be
available for DIYers.

In the meantime, I've received samples of all sorts of SIT devices.

I'd rather be lucky than smart; happy than right.

Nice :D

Nelson, any idea of roughly what the price per transistor for us in a group buy would be?

And any chance you might hint on what rail voltages you currently using in your test designs? Are you using 18-36 V so that we could reuse our other-firstwatt-amp power supplies or does these SIT transistors want higher voltages to work nicely?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As a concept they're audiophile affordable, but I don't see enough market demand
for the volume required to get the costs down to that.

Perhaps they will make it into "real" production for some other application,
then you might expect to see them in distribution for $100 or so.

It costs an enormous amount of money to get a run of these made. My
current inventory is only large enough to float the R&D and the FW initial
production, and that will have to be a success before I can afford the next
run after that.

I know nothing about high tech, but in biotech the prices are similar for custom runs of antibodies for example.

By the same token, the high prices are really there to keep a business going with such orders if the ongoing demand were there. If one wanted a single run done as a "favor", the cost of time and materials is dramatically lower - in fact its de minimis. A question comes up as to whether SemiSouth would "do a favor" for the DIY crowd. I'm certain there are real, hard costs involved, but I'd guess they are a lot less than they might charge a company doing a boutique run.

Is such a path viable? It would need NP's direction - he's the father of the device.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.