Sound problem with Zen 4 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2003, 11:26 AM   #11
Banned

in case the amp is quiet with no cable connected and makes noise with the cable connected it should be a problem with your ground. How did you connect the ground / shield of the cable? Read the article at passlabs about ground loops.

IMO it doesn´t matter if you have some volts more or less at the regulator. Just try to distribute the zehner in a way the voltage at right and left channel is about the same.
Old 4th September 2003, 04:01 PM   #12
Buhl is offline Buhl  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by till
in case the amp is quiet with no cable connected and makes noise with the cable connected it should be a problem with your ground. How did you connect the ground / shield of the cable? Read the article at passlabs about ground loops.

IMO it doesn´t matter if you have some volts more or less at the regulator. Just try to distribute the zehner in a way the voltage at right and left channel is about the same.

The amp is wired as it should ( I suppose) - I use two bridges (200V, 25 A), one pr. channal, and then a 47,000 uF pr. channal. Unregulated ground is connected to ground on the amp board, to where the RCA-phone's ground/sheild also is connected.

I have tried to make a cable from the balanced XLR from my DAC, where I use pin 2 and 3 (positive and negative) ending up as live and shield in a RCA phone jack - then there is much, much less noise - this is bad though, as my dac does not have a volume potmeter

I use the same powerstrip for the amp and CD player, as stated in the article - earth is virtually non exixting in older houses in denmark - we have a HPFI-relais that deals with power trouble - so earthing is also out of the question.

Is there really noting to do, but to live with the noise ?

I have removed the zener-string on both channals now, and read 42-43 volts on regulated supply (47 volts unregulated - 4 volts) - I suppose thats OK ?

Cheers !
Hans
Old 4th September 2003, 04:17 PM   #13
Banned

I should not tell, i build some amps without real grounding, and there is not that much noise.

Without the zehners you have no a capacintance multiplyer, its also ok. But with the zehers and and a little less voltage than in Nelsons articles there is also no problem.

I´m afraid for help we need more information. Without some detailed pictures of the amp nobody else than you will find the source of hum.
Old 7th September 2003, 09:56 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Problem solved !!!!

I feel so embaressed - but it was so simple after all...
Last nigth (0430) I was out having a few beers ( still to many ), and was discussing DIY with a engineering student from my university - "should I try to run both channels of one unregulated supply ??" - "That migth help..." he answerd - so home at around 0500 in the morning I got to work, and bugger me if it didnt work !!!

Im so happy ! - Thanx to everyone who has stuck up with my silly questions......especially Till - Vielen Dank !

Now I have to finish that BLS....so I guess Ill be back

/Cheers !

Hans
Old 7th September 2003, 11:19 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I just observed that you have a perfectly silent amp with no input plugged in. I had the same on my Zen2. It has nothing to do with your grounding. I had the venerable Nelson Pass point out to me that with nothing on the input, the amp pulls the output low, so producing nearly no output (hence no noise). In this case the lack of noise is a red herring and should not be used when troubleshooting.

I had shielding problems with my torroidal transformer. Encasing it in copper with a tag to earth sorted that one out.

Regulation of the power supply is a nice touch, but you will probably notice no difference with just the cap multiplier, and the amp will run cooler.

Shoog
Old 29th September 2003, 08:19 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Super_BQ Send a message via Yahoo to Super_BQ
Hans,

Did you finished building your Zen v4 Balanced? I've ordered the PCB and got enough parts for them but wasn't quite sure how the boards are wired up.

Brendon
Old 29th September 2003, 03:16 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Balanced Zen4

Quote:
Originally posted by Super_BQ
Hans,

Did you finished building your Zen v4 Balanced? I've ordered the PCB and got enough parts for them but wasn't quite sure how the boards are wired up.

Brendon

Hi Brendon
No, I'm still searching for aluminium to cope with the double amount of heat for balanced operation. But, I belive that the cabeling it self should not be to difficult.

This is how I think it should be done:

1. tie both input gound together, and connect it to the shield in the xlr-connector.

2. Connect one of the channels positive RCA to negative in the XLR-connector(the "cold" one), and the other RCA-positive(signal) to the "hot" XLR-pin.

3. connect the two ground output connectors to each other with heavy duty cable, to avoid current flowing through the input cables(according to Nelsons article).

4. Drain the balanced output acros the two remaining output terminals (remember that this amp inverts the input signal).

I belive this is whats needed to run balanced, but I wont put my head on the block, if you know what I mean, cause ive not tried it yet......

BTW - your site about the SoZ got me into DIY in the first place!!
Happy building & keep DIY !!

Cheers !
Hans

Hide this!Advertise here!