Help Aleph 3 Problem!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all
I bought a pait of Aleph 3 boards from Kristijian a while back, put the amp together and everything was working great until today :-( one of the channels just died. The LED does not come on and initially I thought there might be a problem with the connections - I tried wriggling the speaker connections and I saw sparks at the speaker connector!
At this point I disconnected all the inputs and outputs and examined the boards. Nothing seems to be fried, all resistors look ok. Does anyone have any thoughts on where I should start from?
I checked the power supply circuit and that part seems just fine. If I look at the circuit (link below) it looks certain that the 244 device on the top right hand corner closest to the LED has blown, any thoughts?

http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip/aleph-3.html

thanks in advance
vsr

Hi!

Although having never built an Aleph so far, I think that most of the time the integrated devices (transistors, diodes) are the cause for a fault, so check first the power transistors, then the drivers.

But a fault in power transistors can also cause the emitter resistors to blow (the 0.47 ohms), so you might check them, as well.

And always check devices unsoldered from the circuit, since connection to other devices changes the values you get while measuring...

And look for the reason why a specific device has blown... too much heat? bad solder joint? Short with probes (unlikely in your case, but my #1 cause for failure :) )? Or bad luck...?

Bye,

Arndt

Joined 2003
Paid Member
vsr123 said:
If I look at the circuit (link below) it looks certain that the 244 device on the top right hand corner closest to the LED has blown, any thoughts?
Hi vsr
Assuming you have a DMM, you should provide some more details about the voltages you have on the critical points in the circuit.
What do you measure at the output? DC? How much?
What voltage between emitter and collector of the MPSA18 of the current source?
What voltage over the source resistors and so on.
The link you provide is a nice schematic, but for more in dept measurements the PDF at Passlabs is better IMHO.
Keep us informed and (small but important warning) : Discharge the big cans properly before poking around with the soldering iron :nod;

/Hugo :)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Measurements

vsr123 said:
Hi
thanks much for your posts. I made some measurements. The output is just DC at 27V !! There is no voltage between C and E of MPSA18.

thanks
vsr

Which MPS18? There are two in the diagram you posted.
What's the voltage across the 390 Ohms load in the input stage?
If you have drafted this diagram, why don't you number the components? Makes any discussion (and your own work!) much easier.

Jan Didden

MPSA18

Hi
Sorry, the MPSA 18 I was referring to is the one on the top of the circuit.
I will take the measurement across the 390 ohm later and post it here.

As for why I didnt number the components, I did not draft the figure, its from Kristijan's web site, the Aleph 3 service manual at www.passdiy.com also has the same circuit and the MPSA 18 I was referring to is labelled as Q105.

thanks
vsr

Hate to tell you this but you had better check your speaker as well...

27v at the output could easily mean burned out drivers... You definitely have to troubleshoot the amp but I would remove and measure each speaker driver as well just to be sure....

Hope you are lucky!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi vsr,
I made you a picture from the schematic with the crucial voltages.
(Hope Nelson doesn’t mind) ;)
Try to write down (with MSpaint or something) your corresponding values and post back the pic.

Attachments

• aleph3.jpg
    aleph3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 447
Joined 2003
Paid Member
JasonL said:
Net list can you get me something like that for my aleph 2 please. ? so i can study it for a few days.. ?

IS it ok to power up a aleph 2 with out the outputs to check that the main FEB ( front end board ) is running properly ?
With pleasure and thanks to Nelson and Passlabs we got the whole series of Alephs here: http://www.passlabs.com/aleph.htm
To answer your second question: I don't know, but I guess it should be possible.
A variac should make life easier IMO. Nothing to disconnect.

What i ment was not to power the aleph's up with the out-puts attached to the main board. i am not Rich and cant afford to rune all my fets. not that i have but i take lots of practice in being care full. ill get a nice var-iac and power it up slowly also. just want to be care full and take it one step at a time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.