Where to start with Aleph Mini

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings all,

I am interested in building a 10w/channel mini Aleph power amp, such as KK's mini-A. I'm thinking this would be a nice amp to try with the new FH-MKIII's I'm building, and I suspect could also serve as a killer headphone amp.

I have been lurking here for a while without posting. I must say that I very much enjoy reading the forum; the amount of time one can spend here is astounding. :D Anyway, I have spent a good deal of time poking around on the forum, but have not found any mention of a current North American source for PCBs for this amp. I know ChipAmp sells some Aleph boards, such as the ALEPH-TH-PCB, but their site is under construction and information on these boards somewhat sparse. Looking through the parts list, they seem to be for a much larger beast.

I have looked around eBay also, and, unsurprisingly, found a lot of dirt-cheap pre-assembled boards available from China. These are admittedly tempting, but I'm not about to support those presumably illegitimate enterprises trying to capitalize on what I am sure is unapproved use of Nelson Pass' venerable name and intellectual property. I also would expect the quality to be less than stellar. Since I would like both a clean conscience and quality I control, these options are no option.

Guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
montre16

Thanks for the reply. Let me clarify: Regarding the KK boards, I would rather not order from such a distance, which is why I specified that I was seeking a North American source. I provided that link simply to disambiguate which circuit I was hoping to implement. I have no problem buying the KK boards if they are the best and most practical option available to me, of course, but the price difference and between these and the ChipAmp Aleph boards, as well as the relative geographical proximity of ChipAmp, makes me want to investigate my options further.

I guess I was hoping someone might provide something of a clarification as to precisely which schematic the ChipAmp Aleph boards correspond to; the only information I can seem to find on ChipAmp's site is a parts list which calls for 6 IRFP240's per channel, rather than the two indicated in the KK schematic.

I apologise if I have not been sufficiently diligent in scouring the forum and site for answers, or if my inquiry is excessively noobish.

Thanks,
montre16

Montre I will be doing a GB to produce a few mini A boards in the next month or so, provided I can actualy get forward for a change, just had a hectic week. The prototype is all done appart from adding the FETS, I hope to do some matching tommorrow to get a set.

Last edited:
fyi, the chipamp boards were designed to build the Aleph from Mini to 60 watt. If it's mini, then you just save the unused boards until the devil gets your soul. Click on 'order' and you'll find all you need. And at that price.. wow. This board/project is thoroughly vetted among a 1000+ post group buy thread also. That is your thread.

Excellent. That answers my question quite concisely. Many thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.