exploding fuses ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I dont know if this question should have been in the solid state forum, bute its related to my zen 4 amp.....

Im in the proces of assembling the powersupply, and when i connect the toroidial transformer to the mains, my fuse between mains and the transformer blows, with a 3,15 amp fuse it explodes with a loud bang !

I have not connected the secondarys of the transformer, so there is no shorting there.

I measure about 1 ohm across the trafos primarys - that should be ok ?
It also seems that the secondaries ate mesuring properly - i have close to 0 ohms acros two pairs of secondaries.

What is wrong - anybody ??

Thanx alot in advance !

Cheers !

Hans Houmøller

Hi Hans

There are two types of fuses - fast blowing fuses (in danish "flinke") and slow blowing fuses (in danish "træge"), and I think that you might be using the fast blowing fuse. I had the same problem with my torodial in the beginning - but then switched to a slow blowing fuse (a torodial transformer has a big starting current).

The 1 Ohm or so in the torodial seems fine and if none of the secondaries are connected in any way I see no problem.

Good luck with the project

Hans Bjergegaard

Hej Hans
Thnx for the reply - i have just checked the fuses im using, and they are labeld "T3,15A" wicth should mean slow or "træg" in danish ?

hmm - should i try to skip the fuse, and hope that the 10 amps mains fuse will take it ??

1000 tak for hjælpen !

/Hans

The trafo is 750 VA, toroidial - the strange thing is that I have a 1,6 KV that measures exactly the same dc resistance - but it will start with a 1,6 amp fuse - but ofcourse inductance and the way the trafo is winded has a lot to say....

I try the lamp thing....

/Hans

1 ohm for the primary seems quite low. I have a couple of toroids at home for this project and I'll measure them this evening.

The other possibility is that you have a shorted loop connected through the center of the toroid. That would act as a shorted secondary and will always blow the primary fuse.

Jeremy

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Normally, a 3.15AT fuse connected the way you did
shouldn’t ‘explode with a loud bang’. :cool:
If perhaps the fuse is too small, it rather should just melt.
That's what worries me.
Now, if a 3.15At fuse blows, a 1.6AT fuse will certainly blow.

/Hugo - still wondering what could be wrong :)

Problem Solved !!!

Its working now - I put a ligth bulb in series, and the big dounot is alive ;)

I have another trafo exactly like the first, and they measures the same.

I have 18 volt AC on both secondarys now.
But, I need to couple them in series to get the 36 volts needed for the Z4 - is it just shorting any two wires from each fase, and then I have 36 volts on the remaining two ?
Or should i short live from one fase and zero from the other ?

Thanx for the help - its greatly appreciaeted !!!

/Hans

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Problem Solved !!!

Buhl said:
is it just shorting any two wires from each fase, and then I have 36 volts on the remaining two ?
Glad it works.
Don't short just 'any' wire.
With a little luck there is a drawing of the windings on the trafo.
The two centre wires should be connected together and then you'll have the 36V on the remaining outer ones.

/Hugo

This is just a guess based on a dumb experience I once had: Is ther any possability that you have mounted the toroid so that the mounting bolt and other hardware forms a conducting loop that passes through the center of the toroid? If so, this is likely your problem as a current is induced in the loop which has very low resistance.

The exploding fuse sounds like a direct short that tries to pull all available current. The situation above will do that.

sam9 said:
This is just a guess based on a dumb experience I once had: Is ther any possability that you have mounted the toroid so that the mounting bolt and other hardware forms a conducting loop that passes through the center of the toroid? If so, this is likely your problem as a current is induced in the loop which has very low resistance.

The exploding fuse sounds like a direct short that tries to pull all available current. The situation above will do that.

Yes, I have also heard something about possible problems with the mounting hardware, so I left the toroid on the MDF board without any mounting, in order to eliminate most sources for error. Of course Ill have to change that when I build a aluminium cabinet, but first I must get rid of the buzz and humming :(

I have skipped the pre-toroid fuse, and have now only the mains fuse - but it withstands the 750 VA toroid and 100.000uF turn on surge with out any problems. Of course this fusearrangement is not permanent. I have fuses between board and the caps......

Cheers !!

Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.