"SiC Puppy SE Amp Using Semisouth 085 JFET

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The cree's I see are 20v vgs for turn on if I read the data sheet right. Not sure if it's the same animal to either IRF240 or Semisouth's R085, R100's.
I think Wrench threadjacked himself.

:)

Attachments

• 7V Ugs for 2A5.gif
    7V Ugs for 2A5.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 543
Teabag - nah, you're right,it's a different animal. To be honest, I didn't look to hard at the turn-on voltage, as the price soured any real interest. Last time I looked they were more expensive - at $16 I may pop for a couple - after all, I pay on the same order for the big Ixys depletion mode parts. I wonder if Cree is wrapping money around each part to get the interest/volume up, or whether they actually have a handle on the yield to justify the cost reduction? Fake SiCSIT, anyone?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
This is interesting,
I was thinking of a similar project in push / pull transformer config with a couple
of 900v Horizontal output BJT's instead of KT88's
driven with a 12ax7

Well, check out this attached schematic, its a P-P amplifier using high voltage devices, in this case SiC JFETs from Semisouth, and it sounds very nice.... Actually, it sounds clearly better than the MOSFET version of the same thing. My impressions were very similar to what Nelson Pass has said elsewhere - it brings forward every acoustical event and makes it clear to hear, almost "visible", "lifelike". Fascinating....

(Just to be clear, I wrote an article about thsi for Linear Audio, and so I cannot really publish a lot of detail here.... it will be public soon....)

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 527
  • TT with SiC JFETs.jpg
    TT with SiC JFETs.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 524