Aleph-2 PSU wiring layout question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is this a bad layout for my Aleph 2 power supply? I'm questioning
running the AC connection wires for the transformer between the
capacitors. I would run the wires along the floor of the amp and
then up to the AC inlet. For some reason i have a gut feeling that
this isn't such a good layout. It is convenient though because
that is the back panel of the amp. The fuse and switch would be
along side the AC inlet. Thanks for any input

Attachments

• psu-q.jpg
    psu-q.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 598
moe,

I don´t think it´s a problem to do it this way. Try to twirl the two wires for min. radiation.
Maybe you could even use shielded wire or make up a shield by cutting up some coax cable or use a small piece of iron tube.

In my Aleph the 230V also runs alongside the caps of one channel (couldn´t do it any other way) and I never noticed or measured any difference in hum /noise of both channels.

william

Moe,

If you are concerned about induced hum radiation, air space is a great shield..says Doug Self.

In Self's articles and book he gives a good account of wiring practice for power amps. It is not nearly as critical for Class A as it is for Class B. I recall the ac wiring to and from the transformer should be twisted, but kept seperate from the earth (o volt) wiring and well clear of any signal wiring or boards.

More interesting is the so called star earth and feeback return points to minimise distortion.

macka;)

Thanks Guys! I guess it is kind of funny to be worried about
a couple of wires when the transformer is sitting right there!
I just hadn't read much about how to run the wire connections.
Then again, i guess nothing beats wiring it all up and see how
it sounds. I will keep everyone posted ;)

moe29

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.