Fet on a wire :-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have just finished my Aleph 5 clone and managed with problems of flat sound stage I had. (Higher bias helped).

Even though I still have some dilemma. I used Mark Finn's PCB but I did not manage to get big enough heat sinks. Therefore, I decided to make a mono-block with chassis built of smaller heat sinks. However, here lies the problem (or not a problem) I had to place FET in some distance from PCB so I used 1 sqmm ofc wire to do so.

Some of people I know suggest me to move 0,68 ohm (source) and 221 ohm resistors next to fets. However, honestly speaking I do not see any reason to do so (besides I am a kind of lazy man). Than again, this little dilemma makes me nervous a bit. So please if anyone has any suggestions ... just post it.

Piotr

Attachments

• forum1.jpg
    forum1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,367
Very nice amps, the looks.
Great Job you did there.

How is the sound? like the others?

As you see in other treads, pictures of Aleph 5, some people use fets on a wire. Although the resistors are also placed near the fets and attached on a wire. I don't think it is a big difference if only the fet is on a wire at the heatsink.

Good luck,

Nils

Hi Jaskier,

First, I have to say : "Great looking amps !" Nice work, indeed. More photos, please !

Regarding your dilemna, you sure have to locate the gate resistors (221R) as close as possible to Fets. These resistors aim to avoid oscillations of fet stages by damping the parasitic input inductance and capacitance of the fets. If the resistors are located far from fets, the inductance of the connecting wire adds to the fet's one, and damping is far less efficient.

Location of the source resistors is - IMHO - less critical, but with such low resistor values (0R68), use a very low resistive wire and make sure to use the same wire lengths everywere to add the same amount of resistance to every resistor.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for advice. I reorganized my Aleph (inside) and moved gate and source resistors directly to fets. The difference in details is just incredible. Now I can close covers and enjoy the music ƒº. Here is picture of my ¡§music¡¨-room. Not everything is ready. Some damping units are still missing.
Again thanks for help. Now I would like to make an Aleph X. Does anybody have a good link for page with schematics, PCB¡¦s and construction notes ?

Attachments

• room1.jpg
    room1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 977
Jaskier said:
Thanks for advice. I reorganized my Aleph (inside) and moved gate and source resistors directly to fets. The difference in details is just incredible. Now I can close covers and enjoy the music ƒº. Here is picture of my ¡§music¡¨-room. Not everything is ready. Some damping units are still missing.
Again thanks for help. Now I would like to make an Aleph X. Does anybody have a good link for page with schematics, PCB¡¦s and construction notes ?

Absolutely beautifull!

Can you describe us your rig?

to Jaskier

Co to stoi przed czarnymi Alephami? Czy to tak¿e monobloki?
£adny pokoik.S³ucha³em kiedyœ muzyki w identycznym,ale póŸniej przenios³em siê na dó³ do prostok¹tnego.Podej¿ewam ,¿e z basem nie masz ¿adnych problemów,ale ta prawie go³a pod³oga i go³e œciany.Gra trochê ch³odno i p³asko,nie ma ³adnej barwy? Czy dobrze mówiê?
Nie wiesz co siê sta³o z forum Bronx ,zniknê³o z netu?
Pozdrawiam
Bartek

I'M SORRY GUYS

I asked him what what's on the floor in front of Alephs.Are these any mono power amplifiers ,too.Also I told him that I use to listen to the music in the room of the same shape (now moved to regular) and I suppose he has no problem with bass quality,due to sloop wall,but probably his room sounds flat and cold with poor colours of the sound becouse of almost bare floor and bare walls.
In the end asked what happend to the Polish Diy forum which dissapeared from the net in the last couple of weeks.
Sorry for that ,it won't happen again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.