Practical Mosfet testing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Friends,

I refer to the Papa article "Practical Mosfet Testing for Audio" where he presents this diagram for testing theses devices:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I would just like to know:
-what is the recommended wattage for the resistors ?
-same for the V+ voltage (approx) ?

What kind of regulated power supply do you use ?..

Thanks,

Assume that the MOS-FET has failed and that it is a short circuit.

The variable voltage supply can be almost anything +24V is a good place to start.

R3, R4. R5, R6. R7. R8 are then directly connected across the 24V PSU.

From that you can use Andrew T's calculations to work out current and power ratings.

WORST CASE R3 or R6 are in circuit with the other side SHORT CIRCUIT.

V**2 / R = 24 x 24 / 10R = 57W.

I've got 10R 100W resistors for sale on E-Bay at 99p each at the moment.

Last edited:
Are you sure you need the full circuit? I mean it provides a lot of functionality and for example its possibility to test for transconductance might not be applicable to you as you would need a signal generator and an oscilloscope.

Hannes

Thanks Andy, for the reply !

Are you sure you need the full circuit? I mean it provides a lot of functionality and for example its possibility to test for transconductance might not be applicable to you as you would need a signal generator and an oscilloscope.

I have a signal generator and an oscilloscope , (you can laugh: i have received them last week and they are still in their box :p:p) but i am not sure I will conduct all these tests in the near future, as I just start my F5 assembly...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.