SS 120R085 Depletion Mode Jfet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I did get some more in, but I dont want this, and the moderators dont want this to be a sales thread.

On this totally rained out day in NE, I put one in an F3 clone with NO mods, and it plays, although the gain is super-low. That's no good for a already low gain amp.

I measured the in circuit vgs as -.850v approx.

I am looking at New Pass DIY layout website and the ArchNemesis document is there. Thinking of how to do that circuit without a transformer. So looking at that, and the ZV8 schematic to look at the basics. The F3 is regulated slow start with CCS, so it has the backbone for this kinda amp with a cap output.
I think I need to jumper the cascode FET and raise the source resistor up to 3-5R or so.
I know I am doing this off the cuff, but any comments?

I was wanting to try the R085 and the LU Jfet in a Kimmel Mu Follower type amp. I don't see why it would be any different than the F3, but i thought it might be worth a try. With the LU, i would try to keep the cascode setup and slave the CF/SF to it. Just a learning experience more than anything. Don't see anything beating the Aleph CS. Looking for more tubey sound for my FR drivers. To be specific, i am hoping for a little more soundstage depth. I figure this will tell me if its the amps or the speaker setup. I currently have DIY AJ monoblocks and they are great, but i don't know if they are ideal for these drivers. I will also try the DCB1 in collusion with my new F3 to see if the full SE route suits them better. I couls think of worse things to do with my spare time:D

What do you mean by jumper the cascode fet? If that means getting rid of it, it should work considering the main reason for it in the F3 was protection. I still wonder in what situation cascoding is not a good idea, considering the fact that it allows you to extract the exact operating points out of your main transistor.

Increasing the source resistor would throw away more gain, correct?

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Buzz,
With the R085 in the De-light, It didn't like the low source resistor. I believe I was using 3-5R in there, depending on V+. It was more finicky than the R100 in enhanced mode in the same circuit. I have not played with that platform in some time (Or built much of anything honestly)

I think removing the feedback out of the loop would give some additional gain as well.

One thing i have noticed on most of Nelson's articles, is that he always seems to start using the different transistors in simple topology's. He finds the sweet spot for that particular transistor and then builds out the topology based on those findings. I know it would require more tweaking but it seems to be a plausible way of doing things. Perhaps it is just done that way in his articles for the sake of walking learners through the process.

I will build the F3 and then hopefully substitute the R085 in and see what happens. IF you have not seen it before, Vladimirk has a nice thread on a higher power ZV9. I have been thinking about ways to get rid of the output caps. Dual rails will do it, but seems difficult to implement with DM fets.

...IF you have not seen it before, Vladimirk has a nice thread on a higher power ZV9. I have been thinking about ways to get rid of the output caps. Dual rails will do it, but seems difficult to implement with DM fets.
Dual rails will force you to use an input cap and suffer gain of the power supply noise, hum etc. etc. Your input would need to be refrenced to the source of the JFET which is the -rail. The actual input signal will not have this noise, hum signal so it will become part of the signal path and be gained up by the circuit. Stcking with the output cap might be better...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.