change Pass labs Amp from 30dB to 26dB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

My Pass Labs X150.5 is set at 30dB gain (according to the spec.), I want to change it to 26dB gain for bi-amp configuration (w/o active crossover) with my new XA100.5 (26dB gain) to drive awaited Salon2 in a small room. I prefer to modify its internal circuits (say replacing some resistors). I know my ideas are strange, but curious and for fun.

I have tried to find out some hints in Internet, but no luck. Any advice is welcome.

Also, do anyone know why there are two dB gain settings for the X.5 as well as XA.5.

Thanks in advance.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The amplifiers are shipped at the default 26 dB. There are 2 jumpers per
channel on the input that modify the input resistors for 30 dB. If you simply
remove (park) the jumpers, then the gain is 26 dB and the jumpers are
no longer in the circuit. No need to get out the soldering iron.

:cool:

Dear Papa

Dear Papa
I am in a similar situation, I am currently building a pair of Linkwitz Orions V3.5 and thus require identical unbalanced gain on all amps used.
Thus far I have:

DIY Aleph 2’s 26db

X150.5 26db with jumpers answered above. (which are the jumpers that you are referring to?)

X150 (until I can afford another two .5’s, going to be a long time as we are expecting our first child after Christmas), however I am unable to find any literature apart from it being 30db. Is this balanced or unbalanced and hopefully there is a way of changing it to 26db unbalanced as the Orion ASP does not have an option for a balanced connection to the amps.

Thank you kindly for all of your help and dedication, may we all fill our homes with Papas projects :)

Happy Thanksgiving
Cheers, Greg

X150.5 jumper image

Here is an image of the x150.5 2004 edition, just wondering which jumpers to select for the 26db. Apologies for the quality.

Pass-X150.5-jumpers.jpg

Thanks for your help,
Greg

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The gain is not jumper adjustable on that PCB version.
The pins by the headers are bias test points. We test with a connector.
If shorted by an errant probe it can be very bad.
The other pins with no jumpers on them are for DC operation.
Putting four jumpers here bypasses input caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.