Where to go after the F5?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I am about to finish the first amp I have ever built. A goal I have had for about 10 years but for one reason or another I was not ready to tackle it until now. I have the amp running using a bench supply and am amazed by just how transparent it is. Of course the builder in me is now all worked up because I have made a working unit. So my question is where do I go from here. Do I build a hot rodded F5 or do I build a different amp? Personally I would love to know what the next level above the F5 would be. This amp sounds so good I have trouble believing that there could really be much better. When it comes to improving on the F5 it seems like the most you could really do is to up the power supply capacitance and possibly try different resistors. I feel though that changing resistors would be more of a matter of taste and not an upgrade. What about the premium resistor upgrade from techDIY, has anyone tried them, what did you find?

I'm using a decware preamp and a marantz 63 straight into the amp (it has volume control)but I am considering building my own preamp. The Aikdo looks tempting as well as the DCB1. Is this where I should focus next? Might be interesting to hotrod a DCB1 in a case that matches my F5 and crank up the bias.

Finish it....Get it off the bench, build your PS, create a very personalized enclosure & let it go to work making music....
If you 'music room' is too crowded, put in the 'den', kitchen........wherever it will stand out...

________________________________________________________Rick......

If it were me, I would ask which Firstwatt matched my speakers.
Its really about best match between Speakers and amp rather than one absolute best amp IMHO.
Having said that, the F4 looks like you could try the Autoformer front end, or the BA1 front end or use a preamp. Interesting options.

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.