Where to go after the F5?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And no more tricky stuff! We want Babelfish J2!!!:eek:

Russellc

The Babelfish J2 is a great step towards a DIY J2, but it seems quite different to me. The J2 has few components, the Babelfish has many.

The J2 seems elegantly simple. The main issue that's been perplexing me is the optocoupler, as I've said before. I'm not someone with an electronics background, so a hint in that direction would be a big help.

A few folks on the forum have built J2 clones, all have respected what they thought were NP's wishes to keep any schematic out of print.

However, if NP has changed his position on the schematic, I suspect a number of schematics would be published. I am aware of at least three different ones floating around the forum.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Babelfish J2 is just that - (deliberately) Babelfishing original ( idea) ;

I'm certainly not Papa , that's why I'm in his footsteps , not vice versa :rofl: ..... but making exact copy isn't my best imaginable way of fun

at least , not anymore

in any case - knowing how he exactly made something, is a way to learn ..... but doing back-engineering just to have it .... naah ......

later ( after Babelfishing ) I manage to find enough info to draw Real McCoy ....... just to have last pieces of puzzle solved ( few still unknown tricks , and exact values ) , but most important thing was/is catching brilliant simplicity of Papa's J2

whatever - only 2 stages and only 2+2 active devices , original amp or not . :devily:

cascodes in BJ2 , plus few details more .... tnx to them , AR2 could make more powerful version , at nearly +/-30V and above 2A Iq

one idea crosses my mind .... Papa is certainly up to something even more wild , and J2 is soon to be obsolete .....

Attachments

• buehehe.gif
    buehehe.gif
    33.3 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
Since this post has totally digressed I am going to try to get it back on track by asking my question another way.

I now have a mostly working F5 amplifier. An amp that has been recommended on this site as great for beginners. What would be the next level project to tackle. Would it be an amp, preamp, usb dac or something else? Why? Assume that I have speakers that are a proper match for the F5.

There should be a social rule that if you are going to post something off topic in a thread you must, in the same post, post something on topic. In fact I now decree this for the whole internet, here and now!!

For example

I am using Parker Audio 98's as my speakers. Boy, an F6 sounds awesome, I can't wait to hear an amp that is three F levels above the F3. I didn't even imagine that you could get another F level above F5.

(For those of you that have a bit of trouble telling inflection online, I am being facetious)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Pubilsher, Edward T. Dell said his goodbyes in the latest issue of AudioXpress.
Close to the last paragraph, he said that Nelson Pass delivered to him his latest manuscript.

Could the mentioned manuscript be the OB project or the F6! :D

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Publisher, Edward T. Dell said his goodbyes in
the latest issue of AudioXpress. Close to the last paragraph, he said that
Nelson Pass delivered to him his latest manuscript.

It is a rework of the JBL L300 loudspeaker.

That makes it 39 years now, one of my longer lasting relationships.

It was always a pleasure to deal with Ed.

Meanwhile, I look forward to continuing to publish with AX.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.