Benefits/Drawbacks of Dual rails vs Single Rails

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Getting ready to assemble F3 and have looked at other possible layouts and do not yet know the benefits and drawbacks of single vs. dual rails. I was hoping someone might have some comments about each with positive and negative aspects. Although the Zen articles contain mostly single rails, dual rails are used in most of the more advanced offerings, so i figured there was a reason and i am not exactly sure why.

In the case of F3, the JFET biasing and input refrenced to Gnd are well suited to a single rail supply. It would be difficult and need more parts, possibly even another stage to try to run the F3 on a split rail supply. You would possibly be able to omit the output cap in that case but, I doubt the benifit would be worth the extra components.
The omision of a large output cap is ussually considered a big benifit of the split rail supply designs (F4). In only a single stage amp it is difficult to have a Gnd refrenced input and an output that swings + and - without a cap somewhere.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.