diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Need help with a F5 PSU mistake (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/189402-need-help-f5-psu-mistake.html)

anilva 21st May 2011 12:32 PM

Need help with a F5 PSU mistake

1 Attachment(s)
I have just completed making a PCB for my F5 PSU. The circuit I have used is an adaptation of NPs PSU schematic. Instead of CCRCC, I have used CRCCRCC. The values of C being 22000 uF and R being 0.47 ohms.

After soldering all the components, I realized that I have inserted Rs in the positive leg of the supply for both halves as against Papa using the R in the positive rail of the upper half and R in the negative Rail of the bottom half of the PSU.

I want to know if the error committed in my PSU is going to be impacting the supply in any way? is the RC filter going to be effective?

I am enclosing my schematic for reference. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

digits 21st May 2011 01:12 PM

Ah yes, that bottom set is wrong, it is basicaly on the ground trace...

Itsmee 21st May 2011 01:21 PM

The short answer is yes.

Once you have moved the resistors, you will also need to break the 0V loop.

If your caps have screw terminals, it may be easier to flip them and swap the input and output connections.

anilva 21st May 2011 01:25 PM

IMHO there is no problem electrically with the circuit. It is just two independent DC power supplies wired for +22V, 0V, -22V configuration.

My doubt is if the RC filter is going to be effective only in one leg as a result of my mistake as compared to the original Papa's schematic.

Itsmee 21st May 2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilva (Post 2579081)
IMHO there is no problem electrically with the circuit. It is just two independent DC power supplies wired for +22V, 0V, -22V configuration.

If you have a bridge rectifier per supply rail, and the supplies are connected together at the output to create the 0V junction, then it will be ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilva (Post 2579081)
My doubt is if the RC filter is going to be effective only in one leg as a result of my mistake as compared to the original Papa's schematic.

From an AC point of view, there is no difference if R is in the + or - rail.

anilva 21st May 2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itsmee (Post 2579120)
If you have a bridge rectifier per supply rail, and the supplies are connected together at the output to create the 0V junction, then it will be ok.

From an AC point of view, there is no difference if R is in the + or - rail.

Yes, I have a separate winding on the toroid and a separate bridge rectifier per rail. There are two different DC power supplies other than the trafo windings sharing the same toroid core.

That's my question. From a hum point of view, if the RC works, I am good. Otherwise, I was planning to cut the PCB tracks and hardwire the bottom rail again.

Thanks.

drazen 21st May 2011 03:30 PM

Hi,
I think this would be good

drazen 21st May 2011 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry,

anilva 21st May 2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drazen (Post 2579161)
Sorry,

Thanks. This is the way the PS is currently configured.

anilva 22nd May 2011 07:42 PM

The power supply works

Thanks for all the advice and help, the psu works unchanged. It does not matter if the RC network is in the negative leg or the positive leg since it is trying to suppress AC hum.

Cheers.