Transformer for Aleph 30 Build Peter Daniel's Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have search far and wide on this forum, and would like those who have gone before me to comment on whether a 300VA 18Vx2 transformer will be suitable for the Aleph 30 build, using Peter Daniel's boards. From all that I have read, it is suitable, but just barely. It seems people favour 400VA plus for a stereo implementation.

But from my research, each Aleph 30 channels drawings around 1.5A quiescent current, with the devices biased around 0.8A each (with R13 at 47k5???). At +/-25V, the idle dissipation would be around 60W per channel. So the total would be 120W. Allowing for losses in the PSU, etc, the standing requirement is 130W, or 130VA. There should be enough headroom in a 300VA to power both channels right?

Or have I missed something completely?

You apparently have the service manual and there is some conflicting info in there. You can pretty much count on 200 watts constant load so a 400VA trafo would be wise.

Are you sure you are referring to the A30 and not the A3? The 30 uses 6 fets per channel and biases around 2 amps per channel. The bias can be lowered some by lowering R13.

Best, Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.