now I am a real First Watt guy...... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2011, 07:19 AM   #1
generg is offline generg  Germany
diyAudio Member

Smile now I am a real First Watt guy......

After two years of building different First Watt and Pass Labs amps (F1J, F2J, F4, F4 with SS100, F5, Aleph P, Pumpkin, UGS v3, BA-1, BA-1 with SS100, BA-2, Aleph3,Aleph 30, Aleph60 and Babelfish J2) I had much pleasure, but could not fix the problem that my speakers Thiel SCS4 (3,9 Ohm, 87 db) did not match in the right way with the First Watt line and the Alephs giving more power had not the effortless sound of the Semisouth solutions.

So I sold my beloved Thiel and looked for some Lowthers. I found an offer, two Acousta 115 with PM6A for half the price... I asked my wife.... she agreed and drove me to the merchant and back with the precious speakers on board.

Fine sound, very detailed and lively, but the bass was small and clumsy.

I was a bit disappointed......

searching for a solution I found Jon Ver Halens TOA (Tiny Open Baffle Alnico) and it solved the rest of the problem.

Tone Tubby 12 for the bass and PM6A .... what a wonderful combination! I do not understand why this solution can reproduce effortless Stanley Clarks bass lines, going down to the same point to about 70 Hz and Acoustas could not.

I have only small rooms and I doubted if the baffles would work.
Big surprise, no problem at all... best sound ever, huge stage and wonderfull voices, fast details.
The recommended ASC oil caps are good for shouty Lowther, I first used Obbligato, not bad too... a bit more stressing in long time hearing.

In the background you see my Pumpkin Pre and Babelfish J2....

Please excuse this a bit off topic writing, but I had to place it in the Pass forum, giving me the help I needed to go along this way...

special thanks to Mr. Pass, Zen Mod, tea-bag, flg, Bill Fuss, Melon Head and some guys from the diyaudio.rs forum (especially spavlesky)for good advices on the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0317.JPG (354.3 KB, 1132 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0316.JPG (360.1 KB, 1087 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0318.JPG (387.5 KB, 1076 views)
Old 13th May 2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Fugly!

Old 13th May 2011, 11:24 AM   #3
juma is offline juma  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generg View Post
.... Fine sound, ....
Is it still panoramic ?

Congrats !
Old 13th May 2011, 01:46 PM   #4
anilva is offline anilva  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
After two years of building different First Watt and Pass Labs amps (F1J, F2J, F4, F4 with SS100, F5, Aleph P, Pumpkin, UGS v3, BA-1, BA-1 with SS100, BA-2, Aleph3,Aleph 30, Aleph60 and Babelfish J2) I had much pleasure, but could not fix the problem that my speakers Thiel SCS4 (3,9 Ohm, 87 db) did not match in the right way with the First Watt line and the Alephs giving more power had not the effortless sound of the Semisouth solutions.

So I sold my beloved Thiel and looked for some Lowthers. I found an offer, two Acousta 115 with PM6A for half the price... I asked my wife.... she agreed and drove me to the merchant and back with the precious speakers on board.

Fine sound, very detailed and lively, but the bass was small and clumsy.

I was a bit disappointed......

searching for a solution I found Jon Ver Halens TOA (Tiny Open Baffle Alnico) and it solved the rest of the problem.

Tone Tubby 12 for the bass and PM6A .... what a wonderful combination! I do not understand why this solution can reproduce effortless Stanley Clarks bass lines, going down to the same point to about 70 Hz and Acoustas could not.

I have only small rooms and I doubted if the baffles would work.
Big surprise, no problem at all... best sound ever, huge stage and wonderfull voices, fast details.
The recommended ASC oil caps are good for shouty Lowther, I first used Obbligato, not bad too... a bit more stressing in long time hearing.

In the background you see my Pumpkin Pre and Babelfish J2....

Please excuse this a bit off topic writing, but I had to place it in the Pass forum, giving me the help I needed to go along this way...

special thanks to Mr. Pass, Zen Mod, tea-bag, flg, Bill Fuss, Melon Head and some guys from the diyaudio.rs forum (especially spavlesky)for good advices on the way.
I can see you are using a passive crossover. I am using a similar design with tone tubbys, though not with lowthers but with fostexs. Can you share the crossover design?

Cheers.
DIY F5 Turbo V3, DIY F5 Turbo V2, DIY F5, DIY F5 Toshiba Dual output, DIY Aleph J, DIY Fostex 206 BLH, DIY Altec Onken with 515B LF & 288H HF, Behringer Digital Xover, Technics SP10 MKII & SL-1210, EMT938 TT.
Old 13th May 2011, 02:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juma View Post
Is it still panoramic ?

Congrats !
thanks Juma,

more panoramic than ever.......! I get lost in space and time....

you know the dipole characteristic of the baffles makes more room after the speakers.....
Old 13th May 2011, 02:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilva View Post
I can see you are using a passive crossover. I am using a similar design with tone tubbys, though not with lowthers but with fostexs. Can you share the crossover design?

Cheers.
hi anilva,

the crossover is on the Lowther America side from Jon, but the values are for Lowthers PM6A..... I do not know if they will fit to your Fostex..... on the other side they are normally calculated for 200 Hz crossover and the bafffle size.... I suppose.

Tiny Alnico Open Baffle

much luck!
Old 13th May 2011, 02:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I think more important is if your Fostex have the same efficiency of the tone tubby around 96/97 db.....

and to get more on topic... I tried F1J and F2J on the baffles too... there was considerably more bass with the tone tubbies, but the overall sound is the best with FET input and SemiSouth of Babelfish J2 .....

I did not try, but I think F3 and F4 would be also good candidates for this open baffle. I did not try F3 up to now ( excuse me Gyuri, he sent me two of precious Lu1014, a parcel for you is on the way).....

Last edited by generg; 13th May 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 13th May 2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Please excuse this a bit off topic writing, ..........

Old 13th May 2011, 04:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post

the forum subject is "Amplifiers-Pass Labs"

and I write mostly about open baffles......
Old 13th May 2011, 04:54 PM   #10
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the forum subject is "Amplifiers-Pass Labs"

and I write mostly about open baffles......
Juz blame that on ZM - no wait - that would be incorrect - I don't think ZM is OB kinda guy (I am).

When you write a bunch of pages about 1st Watt stuff you can give credit to Papa about all of the good things - and have some fun with ZM about all the stuff that blew up - smoked - made sparks - blew fuses - etc.......

Not really of course - but we gotta keep him on his toes - just because...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man-after-electric_~b13478.jpg (27.9 KB, 876 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!