now I am a real First Watt guy......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
New interest, moderately old thread.

1) did you use 16 or 8 ohm versions? (I suspect your lowther purchase dictated that)
2) at a couple years in, are you still using the Tiny Open Baffle speakers?
3) where did the bass end up with

I have a small room 9.5 x 14 feet, now with corner treatments on the short speaker wall, and a bass trap on the back wall. My current speakers are Zu Omen Essence, and go to a bit below 40, 35 on specs. With the DIY going strong ATM, I am at least considering speakers, and a speaker of this size would be nice in my room. I currently have a 35 watt PP EL34 kit amp, a finished set of ACA monoblocks, and Aleph J in the build process.

Anyone else out there build this speaker? If I got the tone tubby to try this simple crossover, would it work as well in an H frame, bi-amped, or even the slot loaded design currently shown by NP? I guess I'm settled on the PM6a, but still prevaricating on woofer choice. And whether to just start off with powered woofer of some sort.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
o.k. once more….:D

I used the 8 Ohm versions of the PM6 and the TTubby. Later I read that Nelson wrote in a comment that for his ears the 16 Ohm version of the PM6 sounds better, because it seems to have the flattest frequency curve. Especially the silver wire version is his favorite.

The Tiny Open Alnico Baffle that Jon ver Halen suggests in his website is really a surprise even in small rooms. With closed speakers you don't get this huge and broad soundstage. I experienced it because I changed to a Tannoy some weeks ago.

These deliver a more quiet sound, better details and may be a bit better colors but the lack the stage and the immediacy of the Lowther Tone Tubby baffle combination.

Bass, vented port is of course a bit heavier but not cleaner. I had to close in my small room some parts of the openings not to drown in bass.
I suppose the TOAB went down to 65 Hz. When I asked Jon if I could get better bass with a horn like the Alerion he denied this and still encouraged me to keep the baffles.

Sound wise it is really an open game, but the Tannoy look more serious and I have one place less to trim the sound…… :)

I never tried another woofer, going possibly lower. I suppose I had to make the baffle bigger and that is not possible in my small living room.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The Thiels were near to perfect, especially considering their size.

They seduced me to try coaxial speakers only, Lowther, Tannoy….

I gave them up because I wanted to get a First Watt guy…..and I had the impression that they need more power.

i just heard a simple Japanese Kit with the Muse Controller, very, very good sound!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.